PC is farked.. need help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC is farked.. need help please

Last week I was playing Flight Simulator when my PC started randomly rebooting. It kept rebooting and then got to the point where it won't boot at all. The BIOS won't POST so I can't figure out the error codes.

I replaced the two cheapest things that could be the problem: memory and power supply. Video card works.

Now I'm down to the motherboard and CPU.

I was running PCProbe software and the CPU and motherboard were not overheating. Voltages seemed a little low which is why I thought it was a power supply.

I'm stuck. Should I replace the mobo or CPU ($88 vs $18 first?
    My photos on jp.net

Hello,

I'm just wondering why you feel it must be one of those two things. It seems like a pretty expensive way to try to fix something just by randomly exchanging components beginning with the cheapest until it starts again... or doesn't. And by the way if the BIOS doesn't POST how do you know the video card is good (and if you see something on the monitor then how could the power supply be shot)? Since you apparently see something on the screen, why not tell us exactly what happens when you hit the power button. Do you hear the hard disk or floppy spin? If there is anything on the monitor, what is it? If you do hear the drives spin and see the display, can you boot from a floppy or a cd? Does the MB make a series of beeps or tones, this may denote the problem if it is physical. Let us know as many details as you can and maybe we can solve it with you. Or PM me if you want.

Adrian

Comment

Memory was free from BestBuy (coupons) and power supply was $30.

When I hit the power button, the hard drives spin up, the fans and lights come on, and that's about it. The BIOS never POSTS so I can't hear the beeps. Nothing on the monitor. Will not boot from a floppy or CD.

I put in a spare video card, and it did the same thing.
      I ran a virus scan before it blew up, and it was clean.
      My photos on jp.net

Comment

You may have been trojaned!
        Will F.
        Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Have you tried reseting the Bios jumper?

Comment

Originally posted by Avianca 757
            Have you tried reseting the Bios jumper?
            I resetted the CMOS, is there another thing on the board I need to look at?
            My photos on jp.net

Comment

Well one can reset the CMOS by removing the battery and putting it again, but there's a jumper that resets everything also. The name and location depends on the motherboard, you should look at your motherboards manual.

I had the same problem some time ago, and it was proptly fixed by moving that jumper and then putting it to its original position.

Comment

Alrighty, I will flip through the manual and give it a shot.
                My photos on jp.net

Comment

How about getting a new comp? Thats how i would fix my problem.

-PIAA310
                  ***My Blog***

Comment

Clearly, someone has too much money and too little sense.
                    Will F.
                    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Nothing in the manual about resetting everything. The MB is an ASUS P4-SDX.

How about getting a new comp?

No.
                      My photos on jp.net

Comment

TECH SHOP! Sounds like you are at the end of the line. You may want to consider that....it may be your only option...I know it sucks, but what can I tell ya!
                        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                          Clearly, someone has too much money and too little sense.

When i know that something cannot be fixed, i pay up to get a new one.

-PIAA310
                          ***My Blog***

Comment

it is in motherboard, replace, a too common of problem.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver_k
                              it is in motherboard, replace, a too common of problem.
                              I hope so. Got one coming FedEx today, so I'll see. If it's not the MB, it's going to be a big paperweight for a while.

At any rate, I got an extra 512MB RAM and spare power supply for $30.
                              My photos on jp.net

Comment

Working...
                              X