Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for the gap between Post C.P.L with M.E.I.R to the Airlines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for the gap between Post C.P.L with M.E.I.R to the Airlines.

A.J since your a QANTAS pilot I think your advice will be helpful given I'm only across the road in New Zealand (Christchurch).

Iím a 20 year old with C.P.L + M.E.I.R. 100 hours P.I.C, 160 hours dual. Trained at the I.A.A.N.Z.

Post flight training I had a $50,000 (NZD) loan with interest. The thought of getting further into dept with a $15,000 loan was too much so Iíve regrettably spent the past year working outside of aviation getting the loan under control.

Early next year I plan to get back into it. Iím at a cross road in terms of weather getting the $15K instructors rating or spending $15K travelling around NZ and Australia looking for Tourist, parachute etc type of work.

I find the industry a wee bit intimidating; however Iíve always wanted to be a pilot and know Iíve just got to bite the bullet. I know Iím a good pilot and am confident of my flying abilities, but there are so many egos and top gunís in the industry. I find this to be so artificial and fake, as Iím a pretty easy going person. Iíve only had a couple of instructorís who were real and down to earth; the rest thought they were godís gift to humanity.

Iíd appreciate any advice on what I should do from here. Also at any time have you found the industry and its people to be a bit of a handful?

Thanks for your time.

I started instructing after forking out the money for both an Instrument Rating and the Intructor Rating. Although I would have preferred to gain experience flying charters etc. work was extrememly hard to find. Mates would head up north and return months later empty handed.

If you can find an organisation that favours it's own trainees as future employees I would suggest that. It is a backwards world where the least experienced do the teaching, but that's life.

All in all don't give up. I spent a few months out of work after my CPL and it was extremely frustrating. During any downtime try to advance your experience with study and never stop sending out CVs.

Good luck, I'm sure the aviation scene in Enzed is on the upswing, you're probably in a good position to take advantage of it!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
      If you can find an organisation that favours it's own trainees as future employees I would suggest that. It is a backwards world where the least experienced do the teaching, but that's life.
      I'm pretty confident I could get part time instructing work at the academy I trained at, the C.F.I there knows Iím pretty well behaved.

I guess instructing is the safest route into the airlines. Many other types of flying like tourist operations, gilder towing etc is seasonal so the work isn't as consistent comparatively.

Comment

That is true. Take any opportunity that is presented to you. If you can fly some part time work outside of instructing don't hesitate! A varied logbook will always be of more interest to a future employer.

Comment

I've heard what AJ mentioned that airlines (and other places) would rather see lots of different kinds of flying and different experiences, rather than the same thing 400 times. That being said I've heard that being a flight instructor really increases your knowledge level. I have seen a bit of that already just working at the tutoring center on our campus. People will come in with questions that really make you dig through the books with them to find the right answer. That and you need to learn how to present material in different ways because not everybody communicates the same way. Really frustrating sometime, but also very rewarding when you see the bulb finally click on.

Comment

Plus if sending people first solo doesn't give you a coronary then you're sure to pass your airline medical!

Comment

Working...
            X