Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coal as a Jet A1 replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coal as a Jet A1 replacement

    New fuel for the next generation of military aircraft is the goal of a team of Penn State researchers who are demonstrating that jet fuel can be made from bituminous coal. "On a pilot scale, we have produced thermally stable coal-based jet fuel," says Dr. Harold H. Schobert, professor of fuel science and director of Penn State's Energy Institute. "This coal-based fuel can absorb significant amounts of heat and remain stable to 900 degrees Fahrenheit". The fuel will be provisionally designated jet propulsion 900 or JP900 because of this high temperature stability. "We do not have much doubt now that we can do this," says Schobert. "We have a lot more to do and it will be expensive, but there is not much doubt that it will work."
    Go Penn State...

    Its interesting to read the future for a possible replacement for Jet A1, Oil supplies are decreasing and will only get lower...

    What do you think about this type of possible fuel alternate...?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Myriad
    Go Penn State...

    Its interesting to read the future for a possible replacement for Jet A1, Oil supplies are decreasing and will only get lower...

    What do you think about this type of possible fuel alternate...?
    Steam power aircraft, wicked.
    -Kevin

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ACman
      Steam power aircraft, wicked.
      It is a liquid fuel, burn just like Jet A1... I dont think steam has anything to do with it... Unless you're pro 18th centuary...!

      Comment


      • #4
        Coal is waaaay too dirty to use in airliners.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JordanD
          Coal is waaaay too dirty to use in airliners.
          Apparently Not...

          The article goes on to explain that by processing the coal with hydrogen, they reduce the sulphur content and its just as clean if not cleaner than Jet A1

          Comment


          • #6
            March 2004.

            http://live.psu.edu/story/6191
            My contribution to JetPhotos

            Comment


            • #7
              An interesting idea. Still, not a renewable energy source. But at least they are making progress on alternative fuels.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JordanD
                Coal is waaaay too dirty to use in airliners.
                Jet A isn't exactly clean either. I used to live on an air force base and everything outside after about a month would get this real nice sticky black soot residue on it. Would take the power washer to get it off our patio and side walks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by screaming_emu
                  Jet A isn't exactly clean either. I used to live on an air force base and everything outside after about a month would get this real nice sticky black soot residue on it. Would take the power washer to get it off our patio and side walks.
                  Ya, I see that all the time in the neighborhoods around Travis AFB. Not to mention half the people there have cancer.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                    Not to mention half the people there have cancer.
                    well at least I know what to look forward to

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I worked in the jet fuel bizznass...its not "healthy" by any means and causes cancer. Glad I only spent a year in it....although Ive taken my fare shares of bath's in it .
                      Ryan Davis
                      Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
                      www.flyerguide.net

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by screaming_emu
                        Jet A isn't exactly clean either. I used to live on an air force base and everything outside after about a month would get this real nice sticky black soot residue on it. Would take the power washer to get it off our patio and side walks.
                        They dont use Jet A in the majority of military jets, they use a wider cut gasoline called JP-4 as it contains extra additives and meets the required specifications for the Navy/Airforce of both the US and UK forces...

                        Its a little dirtier because of this. Although yes, Jet A-1 isnt a clean fuel by a long shot.

                        although Ive taken my fare shares of bath's in it
                        Me too, draining an engine of fuel can be a pain in the proverbial starfish... It itches my skin as well...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Myriad

                          Me too, draining an engine of fuel can be a pain in the proverbial starfish... It itches my skin as well...
                          Sumping fuel form some GA planes can suck real bad too. Though that is usually 100 Low lead. Especially when its windy. And the piper seminole has the worst fuel drains ever designed. Every time I would get way more fuel on my hands than in the cup.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sampling an aircraft fuel is a similar process to a cessna or piper etc, its a little poppet valve which essentially you push up to drain the fuel.

                            The difference being an aircraft valve is about 20ft above your head. Create a makeshift drainage device using a funnel. so that when you push the drain tool upwards, the rim of the funnel sits flush to the wing. allowing you to drain fuel without the fuel going everywhere...

                            -Myriad

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Myriad
                              Sampling an aircraft fuel is a similar process to a cessna or piper etc, its a little poppet valve which essentially you push up to drain the fuel.

                              The difference being an aircraft valve is about 20ft above your head. Create a makeshift drainage device using a funnel. so that when you push the drain tool upwards, the rim of the funnel sits flush to the wing. allowing you to drain fuel without the fuel going everywhere...

                              -Myriad
                              yeah, the thing about the seminole is that the two sump valves are actually on the side of the fuselage, facing out instead of down. so you have to stick the little pin into the valve to open it, but yet somehow make that fuel fall into the cup. You'd think for a $500,000 airplane they'd figure out that it isn't the best way to do it

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X