Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is to old?

Hi

When is it to old to start flight training with the aim of one day flying for an airline?

Cheers
    NutBot

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 40, but I don't have any evidence to back that up. Mandatory retirement age is 60 (at this time). You'll have to spend a few years gaining certifications and logging hours before an airline will even look at your resume.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Not to mention the many 10's of thousands of dollars to gain the said training and time to pay that off.
      Who's on first?..........

Comment

Well IMO, the cost of trainer and the time it takes away from your life, I would say it takes at least 5-10 years to break even in dollar figures. So I would say around 35ish if you want to make a decent retirment.

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
          Well IMO, the cost of trainer and the time it takes away from your life, I would say it takes at least 5-10 years to break even in dollar figures. So I would say around 35ish if you want to make a decent retirment.
          I wouldn't buy a plane to do your training in, just rent. Though you could probably pick up a used Cessna 152 for something like 25,000 or so, but I think renting is probably the best way to go. As for the age, it really depends on what the airlines will be doing when you get done your training/time building. If they're hiring and expanding like mad, they'll hire pretty much anybody without thinking "hmm...how many years will we have this person with us" but now they're not hiring much of anybody. I believe there may be something on www.jetcareers.com in the frequently asked questions. Even if you dont make it to the airlines, I'd definately reccomend looking at some other flying jobs such as flight instruction, part 135 chater work, and things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
            I wouldn't buy a plane to do your training in, just rent. Though you could probably pick up a used Cessna 152 for something like 25,000 or so, but I think renting is probably the best way to go. As for the age, it really depends on what the airlines will be doing when you get done your training/time building. If they're hiring and expanding like mad, they'll hire pretty much anybody without thinking "hmm...how many years will we have this person with us" but now they're not hiring much of anybody. I believe there may be something on www.jetcareers.com in the frequently asked questions. Even if you dont make it to the airlines, I'd definately reccomend looking at some other flying jobs such as flight instruction, part 135 chater work, and things like that.
            Saw a 152 for $11,000 recently.

Comment

Would rather see the limit at 35/36. In the sixties, when AF fleet still consisted of a mix of prop and jets, this used to be the maximum age bracket to get a jetliner rating by starting as a f/o. Heard the "magical" figures were also the time limit more recently for an f/e to train his/her own job as a pilot.
              Alain
              Thanks for visiting
              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
              *JetPhotos*
              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by scramjet
                Wow that's a good price! Did it have wings?
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                  Wow that's a good price! Did it have wings?
                  "fresh annual" the ad said. I think it was early 60s model. I've seen some pretty good prices, I find that if you look in local newspapers, the prices are better than sources like Planetrader.

Comment

Originally posted by scramjet
                    not bad, as with any plane I'd have a mechanic check it out beforehand. The 152 is a great plane unless you're trying to get somewhere. I dont think there's another plane out there that allows you to just go up and mess around for such little money.

Comment

Thanks for that info guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X