757 and wake turbulence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 757 and wake turbulence

What exactly is different in the 757 that causes so much wake turbulence? I have wondered this, because the wing does not look that much different that that of other old Boeings.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

That's the problem. Older wing design and alot of weight to fly around.

Comment

The 757's large wake is allegedly caused by the flap design. The wing was designed parallel to the 767's wing in order to minimise drag during the world oil crisis of the late 1970s. An efficient cruise wing does not lend itself well to high or low speeds, as it is optimised for one phase of flight, cruise.

The 757 went with double slotted flaps to give the aircraft good landing performance for airports such as La Guardia, just like the 727's triple slotted design a decade earlier. It would appear that the notches in the flaps are the cause of a fairly violent votice, particularly on the outboard end of the outboard flap.
      Here's proof:
      [photoid=5627069]

As a result winglet equipped 757's have seen little reduction in the aircraft's wake turbulence as they only reduce wingtip votices, not flap votices.

Comment

That "old" wing design is similar to what's being used on new aircraft. Its the same type of supercritical wing that the 777, CRJ, and Airbus aircraft use.

That pic that AJ posted is great. Anytime its humid out, 75's leave massive amounts of evidence long after they go by. While the voritces from other aircraft dissapear within a minute or so, I've seen them hang around for 5 min or better after a 75.

Also, the A330, and 777 have some nasty vortices as well.
        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
          You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Unfortunatly I did not catch the interview on local radio - but the subject was the VAST amount of turbulance caused by the new A380 - longer time needed between landings = less landings per day = less profit etc etc - well that was the jist of the interview - not sure what the outcome was - but probably food for thought.
            RobB

Comment

Working...
            X