Sids/stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sids/stars

Just wondering. Are SIDs/STARs pre-programmed into the 767, or would the pilot have to put them in manually. Also, would the plane have to up-date any sort of nav data?

Thanks,
    Tim

SID (Standard Instrument Departure) and STAR (Standard Terminal Arrivals) are standardized routes into and out of congested airspace, put there to take some of the workload off of the controllers.

Air Canada's CRJ acft are approved for Type A procedures, All other acft (Embraer, Airbus and Boeing) are approved for both Type A and Type B.

Information comes from the navigation database files and "manual alteration or manual loading of RNAV SID/STAR is not approved."

Type A = RNAV terminal procedures require accuracy of +-2 NM for 95% of the total flight time. GPS, DME/DME/IRU or DME/DMER NAV systems meet these requirements.

Type B is +-1NM for 95% of the flight time. GPS or DME/DME/IRU RNAV systems meet these requirements.

Comment

How are the programmed into the aircraft to start with? (Or if updated)

Computer plugged into it and uploaded or manually typed in?

Comment

At AC they are updated by computer downloads. The updates come on CD's and are uploaded (downloaded) by the MTC department.

Comment

Ours are part of the canned flight plans preloaded into the FMS. In aircraft that have the KNS660, we select the route number printed on the flight release. In aircraft with the UNS-1, we select the correct city pair listed on the flight plan menu.

The SIDS and STARS are part of the route. If we're going CLT-ROA-CLT, it'll come up as KCLT-CLT-ROBAY-PSK-KROA. It would be filed as KCLT-HUGO6.ROBAY-PSK-KROA.

Coming back, the loaded flight plan will have KROA-ROA-ENTUK-MAJIC-CLT-KCLT. Filed as KROA-MAJIC9.ROA-KCLT.
          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Nav data normally lasts for several week. The following weeks' data will have been preloaded, so no matter where the aircraft is in the world at the time of the data expiry, the pilot programming the FMC can update the FMC data by simply selecting the new databank on the FMC.

The SIDs and STARs will be proloaded into the FMC. We press "DEP/ARR" on the FMC and are shown all the choices of SIDs and STARs and we choose from there. We can alter the data as we see fit, as long as we conform to the requirements of the procedure should we need to follow it. I have had instances where an airport have come out with new procedures which have not made their way into the FMC database yet, so I have had to program it in manually, which is pretty easy to do.
            Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Working...
            X