No announcement yet.

Short Runway Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very informal SOPs at Cathay then Colin?

Just kidding, thanks.

Comment

With us, it is decided who will be the pilot flying before we leave the gate. The only restrictions on FO's doing the landing at certain airports / wx conditions are when the FO is on high mins. If an FO has less than 100 cycles in the airplane, he can't land at special use airports, has higher approach mins, and a couple of other restrictions I can't remember. When you're off high mins, you can land at any airport in the system with any weather that is legal.
      Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Very informal SOPs at Cathay then Colin?

Just kidding, thanks.
        I think that if you're flying with someone for the umpteenth time, even pilots will find it harder to keep a formal breifing. Having interupted more than my fair share of them over the years with fuel receipts etc, most are semi-formal, they get the information across as per the SOP but questions and the such like are pretty informal...

Comment

Originally posted by Myriad
          I think that if you're flying with someone for the umpteenth time, even pilots will find it harder to keep a formal breifing. Having interupted more than my fair share of them over the years with fuel receipts etc, most are semi-formal, they get the information across as per the SOP but questions and the such like are pretty informal...

Exactly. We still say what needs to be said, and aren't cutting corners at all. It is just that with two guys (or gals) who fly often as is the case on the 777 fleet here, we are all pretty relaxed and confident in what we do. Thats not to say there are not days where the weather conditions and/or aircraft technicalities require a bit of serious discussion, but normally things are pretty relaxed.
          Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Interesting info from everyone...I like this forum

Regarding getting on the ground right, Rick Drury wrote a great Flightlines column in the back of an Airways issue once, talking about this subject. If I can find it I'll type it up for you guys to read since its really good.

My thoughts on the subject are pretty simple. Runways have touchdown zones for a reason. Land in the first 1500ft or go-around. One thing I cant stand is people clapping during an exquisitely smooth landing while I watch a giant white on black "5" marker fly past my window, on a 9,000ft long runway.

I dont care if people are going to be bumped on landing because I'd rather touch down in the first 1,000ft of the runway than have a nice smooth landing but float halfway down. This is the main reason why these accidents occur. Pilots get stuck in the flare after a hasty approach, in poor conditions, and float why too long, sacrificing saftey for comfort. See southwest at Burbank, Aeromexico 757 we saw at LAX touching down ABEAM THE HILL on 25L...and that was in CAVU in broad daylight...no clue how they messed that one up...

Comment

Working...
            X