No announcement yet.

Flight Schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm at CCBC! Not in an aviation program though.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
      The last thing you want to do is go to Delta Connection Academy, many people that have gone there regret it, its sad that they hire more pilots from outside the school then they do within that program.
      I go to DCA in Dayton & like it so far. I wish I would've known that before I started there, though.

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaRules
        I go to DCA in Dayton & like it so far. I wish I would've known that before I started there, though.

DeltaRules

Part of the reason has to do with getting a 4 year degree, someone with a 4 year degree will definately be hired before they might even THINK about someone with a non 4 year degree.

Comment

Part of the reason has to do with getting a 4 year degree, someone with a 4 year degree will definately be hired before they might even THINK about someone with a non 4 year degree.
          but by absolutely no means does the degree have to be in aviation. As long as you have a degree in something, you'll be just fine.

Comment

I'm hoping to transfer to ERAU once I get done with that & through the ratings at DCA. I'm not sure if that's how it works, but they (Riddle) told me that's something that I could do & I would be able to get a four-year degree. I'm not going to stop at the two-year degree Sinclair offers.

DeltaRules

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaRules
              I'm hoping to transfer to ERAU once I get done with that & through the ratings at DCA. I'm not sure if that's how it works, but they (Riddle) told me that's something that I could do & I would be able to get a four-year degree. I'm not going to stop at the two-year degree Sinclair offers.

DeltaRules
              seriously dude, once you have your ratings, go somewhere else and/or study something else. Airlines only care that you have a degree, they really dont give a damn what you studied. I have a friend who flies for pinnacle who has a degree in philosophy. The reason I say this is because should aviation not work out for some reason, or you come on hard times like the people from flyI have, it is a good idea to have a backup that will get you by for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                seriously dude, once you have your ratings, go somewhere else and/or study something else. Airlines only care that you have a degree, they really dont give a damn what you studied. I have a friend who flies for pinnacle who has a degree in philosophy. The reason I say this is because should aviation not work out for some reason, or you come on hard times like the people from flyI have, it is a good idea to have a backup that will get you by for a while.
                Good point. I've had a couple pilots tell me the same thing in talking to them.

DeltaRules

Comment

I seriously considered a flying degree but decided against it for that reason. I want something to fall back on. The local community college I'm currently attending offers an A.A.S. in flying and has a partnership where you can transfer to one of a few different four year institutions and finish your B.S. in Aerospace Management. that tempted me a little because it would be a management degree yet still have some flying. My Dad, speaking from experience, said that I should probably get something not aerospace related due to the volatility of the industry. Still planning on being a pilot, just probably not getting a degree in it, you never know though. My plans are constantly evolving.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input, I am about 3 weeks from finishing the Private Certificate and am thrilled at that. As far as going away to a four-year university, probaly not going to happen. I do have 3 years under my belt and I will get the fourth year as time goes by, probaly with online classes.

Seeing that I am 27, married, and have a house, I will stay local, which means I will be going to ATP's 10 month self-paced cirriculum. I can continue to work for SWA and getting my ratings while continuing to be able to pay for my house and stuff.

Thanks Everyone
                    SET LOVE FREE!!

Comment

Speaking of "fallback" plans...

Does UND allow Aviation students to double major? What about ERAU? Purdue? I know that UIUC requires its Av. students to major in something else (anything really) as well as aviation.
                      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                        Speaking of "fallback" plans...

Does UND allow Aviation students to double major? What about ERAU? Purdue? I know that UIUC requires its Av. students to major in something else (anything really) as well as aviation.
                        yes for UND. What a lot of people do instead is major in aviation management so that you also have a business degree when you graduate.

Comment

yes for UND. What a lot of people do instead is major in aviation management so that you also have a business degree when you graduate.
                          That is comforting to hear. After visiting UND I had initially decided against it because GFK just wasn't exactly the college town I was looking for, but after visiting other schools I have realized that I probably wouldn't be spending too much of my time outside the campus (at whichever college that may be).

So now that UND is back in the picture-

I was thinking of a commercial aviation major combined with something completely unrelated to aviation (history, a language, etc). Are there any cases of UND flight students doing something like that as well?
                          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
                          X