Why you should ALWAYS follow checklists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should ALWAYS follow checklists

US Airways ERJ 170 landing with the park brake set...

Apologies to those who have seen these photos... i had to laugh...

especially at the pin installed to the downlock arm which has half of it missing...!!

Always follow your checklist
    Last edited by Myriad; 2006-01-15, 05:38.

We had a similar occurence here at my school back in 2001. A student and an instructor were up doing spins in the decathalon. The instructor said that it was getting a little cold and asked the student to turn the heat on. The student, having never been in that aircraft before, pulled what he thought was the heat, but was really the parking brake. Apparently to save money, the company that makes the decathalon used the exact same type of knob/lever to operate the brake and the heat. This is what happened on landing.

Comment

The student, having never been in that aircraft before, pulled what he thought was the heat, but was really the parking brake.
      ...and also an example on why if you dont know for sure... ask...

Comment

Wow, those are interesting photos. I am amazed that such a modern aircraft allows the parking brake to be set when airborne. Surely a simple mechanism to give the pilots a message or light would have been easy to install!!
        Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Cool, finally get to look inside a plane tire, not to mention those 'drunk' skidmarks .
          Though I'm with my name colleague that one would expect some kind of warning device to keep such an occurence from happening.
          Last edited by DAL767-400ER; 2006-01-15, 12:07.

Comment

Surely a simple mechanism to give the pilots a message or light would have been easy to install!!
            It is installed, on the EICAS screen you will get a status message "Park Brake Set"

Comment

Wooooow! Not surprising at all, there're all sort of just-meet-the-requirements airline pilots around the world, especially in the US!

Comment

Call me funny, but I can't help ....
                Two very similar airliner types in use by a same airline ...
                The two types involved are manufactured by different planemakers located thousand miles apart
                One manufacturer has set the parking brakes lever on the left side of the throttles while the other selected the right one.
                Now two pilots walk to one of the airliners
                Everything is set but
                BING ...
                the aircraft is on her belly
                The pilots did not remeber some drives were inverted on this particular airframe ...
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
                  Call me funny, but I can't help ....
                  Two very similar airliner types in use by a same airline ...
                  The two types involved are manufactured by different planemakers located thousand miles apart
                  One manufacturer has set the parking brakes lever on the left side of the throttles while the other selected the right one.
                  Now two pilots walk to one of the airliners
                  Everything is set but
                  BING ...
                  the aircraft is on her belly
                  The pilots did not remeber some drives were inverted on this particular airframe ...
                  Alain
                  Sounds very similar to the Beech Baron. The early versions that just came out had the center console going Prop Lever, Throttle, Mixture. Pretty much every other airplane ever made with a variable pitch prop has it go Throttle, Prop, Mixture.

Comment

Interesting, yet, the version I locally heard of involves a Fokker 27 and a Fairchild 27J althought I originally dared to fency for an original British made HS748 and her Indian licence-built by Hindustan Aeronautics sibbling
                    Alain
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

hey, i hate to ruin the fun.. but on another forum some guy was saying he heard about that E170 incident and it turned out that it was an A/C fault that caused the parking brake to remain on.
                      - Nicolas

Comment

I'm still surprised that so many GA pilots forget something as simple as putting the gear down every now and then. I guess when your nervous you make stupid mistakes.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

They are not only GA pilots who forget. Coming to mind, back in 82/83 a Mexicana 727-200 had to perform a precotionary landing wheels up. Most of MXA 722s came up with Jato boosters to add power on hot & high ops from MEX and other country's airport. OK then, the tri-holer safely belly landed, but yeahh you bet, the Jato boosters were not switched off .... So instead of keeping to rest, the 727 bounced a few times before that !!!
                          Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                            I'm still surprised that so many GA pilots forget something as simple as putting the gear down every now and then. I guess when your nervous you make stupid mistakes.
                            Airline pilots also have forgotten to lower the gear before landing. Following is a photo of a Frontier Airlines 737 that made a belly landing in Casper, Wyoming after the crew forgot to lower the landing gear. The CVR recorded the gear warning and the crew complaining about false alarms.

What was amazing that the only damage to the 737 was to the engines and nacelles, which were replaced and the aircraft was in service just a few days after this incident.
                            Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Wow !!! Looks the snow was dense enough to bear the weight of the airframe.
                              Alain
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X