Flame out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flame out?

Hola, I was just curious what exactly a flame out is? I was reading an article somebody wrote about an electrical failure in a 737-200 and he said he had to get the plane to a different altitude to prevent a flame out.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Alec, a 'flame out' is when combustion ceases in the hot section of an engine, which can occur for a variety of reasons. As a result the engine has an instantaneous loss of power.

Flame out protection is provided by a few systems, including continuous ignition for low thrust settings, heavy precipitation and turbulence, variable guide vanes to ensure adequate airflow to the combustion chamber and of course a continuous flow of fuel!

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks AJ Why will an engine run below a certain altitude, and not above when there is an electrical failure?

Comment

Alex, did you read this article in Airways? The one that had the title or snippit about fuses popping?
        -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
          Alex, did you read this article in Airways? The one that had the title or snippit about fuses popping?
          I did. I take it you read it also?

Comment

I'm not 737 endorsed but maybe they lose their continuous ignition system with the failure he had.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
              I'm not 737 endorsed but maybe they lose their continuous ignition system with the failure he had.
              Ah, I see. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X