Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What actually goes on in a situation like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What actually goes on in a situation like this?

I just read this article:
    http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc...eadlines-local
    I am just wondering what the actual cockpit procedures are and what happens for smoke in the cockpit. And how is the smoke removed? Would the rapid decent be so that the plane could be depressurized?

Thanks

This is for the Airbus A340-300, i am not sure how boeing operate...

In the flight deck the crew (in event of smoke) can press a button. This will open up small vents to atmosphere, which in turn will suck the smoke out of the flight deck...

Comment

This is for General aviation (small planes) but here's some of the things I would do if I notice smoke in the cockpit.

First, if I have oxygen available, I will probably get on that. One of the most dangerous things about smoke in the cockpit is the damage it might do if you inhale it. After that, I would look at the situation to figure out what my next action should be.

Some of the things I'd look at are does it smell like an electrical fire or one caused by oil/fuel. Where is it coming from? Is there a fire in the cabin, or does it seem to be out in the engine compartment?

The main goal is that I want to get the airplane on the ground as soon as make sense. When that time is, is dictated by the situation. If I can see the fire and tell that it is definately in the cabin, I'm getting on the ground ASAP. I dont care if there is an airport near me or not. Small airplanes can very easily land in a field or on a road provided it is done correctly. If its just a little bit of smoke, maybe coming from underneath the panel, its probably better to find an airport and risk a little bit more time with the smoke than risk an off field landing.

Once I've figured out where I'm going, I'm going to troubleshoot the problem. If it seems to be coming from the electrical system, I'll turn off everything that runs off electricity. If it seems to have stopped and I feel that I really need some of the thigns I've turned off, I'll slowly turn them on one by one. The smoke may be coming from a fire in the engine compartment, in which case you'll want to turn off the heat (to prevent more smoke from coming in) and shut down the engine and glide to your landing spot.

Hope this helps a little bit, feel free to ask if you want any clarification on anything.

Comment

I sort of skimmed through Emu's, it sounds about right

Comment

This is from the non-normal checklist. It's a memory item.

1. Suit up and communicate. (means we get the smoke goggles, oxygen mask, and interphone on).
          2. Recirc fan off. This eliminates a possible source of the smoke.
          3. Cabin signs on.
          4. emergency lights on
          5. dome light on. This light is on the hot bus, so if we have to go to essential power, we'll have light in the cockpit.
          6. bleeds off. Eliminates another possible source of smoke, also depressurizes the airplane.

We can open either the forward or rear outflow valves to help clear smoke from the cabin/cockpit as well, and of course we're going to get the airplane on the ground as soon as we can.

The above is for an unknown source of smoke. If we know where its coming from, we can eliminate that source.
          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Thanks for everyone who replied. Thanks for all the info

Comment

Working...
            X