737 and CAT III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 737 and CAT III

While I was in India during winter break, all the usual delays and cancellations due to the fog at DEL and all over Northern India brought the subject of the CAT III system at DEL into play. All newspapers reported that the Airbus 320's are able to handle the CAT III system, but the 737's are not equipped to land using that system. Is this true just for the 737's flown by Indian carriers or is this the case w/ for every 737 operator worldwide?

Foxtrot

Originally posted by Foxtrot
    All newspapers reported that the Airbus 320's are able to handle the CAT III system, but the 737's are not equipped to land using that system. Is this true just for the 737's flown by Indian carriers or is this the case w/ for every 737 operator worldwide?

Foxtrot
    I'd guess the main problem here isn't with the 737 itself, rather with what 737 types are being flown in India. The 737NG is definitely capable of CAT III landings, however from what I know the 732s, which are still the main 737 version in India, are not, hence the newspapers could simplify this as being the case for all 737s.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
      I'd guess the main problem here isn't with the 737 itself, rather with what 737 types are being flown in India. The 737NG is definitely capable of CAT III landings, however from what I know the 732s, which are still the main 737 version in India, are not, hence the newspapers could simplify this as being the case for all 737s.
      Also, are Indias airports CATIII capable? I dont think they are, I may be wrong though.

The 737NG is CATIIIA certified.
      Last edited by andrew_c; 2006-01-22, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_c
        Also, are Indias airports CATIII capable? I dont think they are, I may be wrong though.
        That would be the other question. Of course it's nice for the newspapers to say that the A320 is CAT III capable, but that isn't them doing any good if the airports aren't.

Comment

I think this is the case for every 737 worldwide. Two exemples coming to mind
          - British Airways : the Tridents were cat III, but never were the 737s and 757s !!!
          - Air Inter, out of 60 airliners in fleet (including the Caravelle IIIs and 12s) only the ten Fokker 27s were not Cat III. IT was never short to use this asset as an hammering market agreement versus Air France ...
          It's true that Boeing never made the effort to add the cat.III in their products. Otherwise, there should be space enough to fit the equipement. After all IT had it made in-house on the Caravelle IIIs.
          Alain
          Thanks for visiting
          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
          *JetPhotos*
          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
            That would be the other question. Of course it's nice for the newspapers to say that the A320 is CAT III capable, but that isn't them doing any good if the airports aren't.
            The only airport in India that has the CAT III system is DEL, but that airport is the only major one that gets affected by fog also. Anyway, the papers said that first off, pilots of both, Jet and Air Sahara were not trained for CAT III ops, but even if they were, they wouldn't be able to because the 737's (and both 9W and S2 have 737NG's) are not equipped to handle the CAT III system at DEL, only the 320's are. Which is why IC and IT (Kingfisher Airways) and other Airbus operators had the fewest flight cancellations/delays. I was surprised that the 737's are not able to handle CAT III ops and am still skeptical about it. I'm guessing they were talking about the 734's which both, S2 and 9W operate.

Foxtrot

Comment

It's not unusual that the older 737s do not have the equipment to handle the CAT III type of the ILS system, but 737NG (700,800), as the competitor of the A32X, I'm quite sure they have the equipments to do so.

It depends on the serevity of the visibility, if it is not completely blind, pilots can use the CAT I or II.

Comment

Completely blind or not, the figures coming to mind are
                - 10 meters / 30 feet vertical
                - 180 meters / 540 feet horizontal.
                no Cat III on board = invitation to divert !
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                X