No announcement yet.

Landing,taxi and logo lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the landing lights, some airlines have different "internal regulations"that may let the pilot turn on/off the ldg light above/below 10k. I think Ryanair turns them off/on at 12k, I'm not sure, and also AA and all the companies may have a different altitude for that

Comment

I rarely see an airliner land at night with no lights on, the only one I can recall was a WN 733 at SJC, not even the lights on the wingtips were on, I wonder if they just decided not to use them.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
        I rarely see an airliner land at night with no lights on, the only one I can recall was a WN 733 at SJC, not even the lights on the wingtips were on, I wonder if they just decided not to use them.
        The logo lights on some 37's are on the wingtips.

The Dash has 2 lights in the leading edge of each wing. One is the approach light, the other is the flare light. I think that's Canandian talk for landing light since officially there is no such thing on a Dash 8.
        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
          only plane I've seen land without any lights on is a C-130 at night time and not even the runway lights were on. Damn cool...I want me some night vision goggles.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
            only plane I've seen land without any lights on is a C-130 at night time and not even the runway lights were on. Damn cool...I want me some night vision goggles.
            Before the end of Apartheid in South Africa, South African private owned operators used to land in lots of locations up north to deliver what were termed locally as
            - "untalkable supplies" in french "Fournitures inavouables" and officially registered as such in the economic yearly reports !!!
            Dely of unmentionable imports were usually made by Safair Herkies which landed in the middle of the night and took off before dawn off-course. Everything to make them unoticed included among others
            - landing lights off
            - closure to public of the otherwise open terminal.

Other reported/mentioned cases of landing and taking lights off
            - some TAP 707s evacuating Portugese nationals from Luanda in 75
            - Biafra civil war 67/70, some DC.6s and Connies pilots practicing the airstrip at Uli this way to avoid being localized by Nigerian Air Force Mig 21s and Hawker Hunters.

Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
            X