Landing,taxi and logo lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing,taxi and logo lights

Do u have to turn on your logo, landing and taxi lights everytime u are landing ??? I saw an LOL763 landing today on YYZ about 6pm with landing, taxi and logo lights off. And it was the only aircraft with those lights off ??? Is required to turn them on ???

Most of the time, yes. The taxi light goes on once you commence your taxi to the runway and then once you get there the landing lights are also switched on. After takeoff, both will have been switched off by the time of reaching 10,000ft.

For landing, both the landing and taxi lights are on during the approach until vacating the runway after landing. Then the landing lights are switched off and the taxi light remains on until reaching the gate.

As for the tail logo light, it seems to be either used at the flight crew's discretion or it may even be down to airline SOPs? I've seen hundreds of aircraft on approach into Manchester at night and some do and some don't have it switched on. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers,

Dale

Comment

Some time ago someone on one of these aviation boards was talking about an airline whos pilots weren't happy with the airline (US Airways seems familiar to me) and refused to turn the tail lights on. One pilot forgot to leave them off and other pilots we're flashing theirs to get his attention/remind him to turn the lights off.

From sitting around the airport or on my balcony at dusk/night, Air Canada tail lights are mixed, sometimes they're on, sometimes not. Westjet tails are almost always lit.

Comment

Not that many people here care about little planes, but with the planes we have here, this is how we operate the lights.

During the day, before we start the engines, we turn on the strobe lights. This signals to everybody around that we're about to start the engine. If the airplane has a rotating beacon (most here dont) we turn that on too.

Landing light and recognition lights (like landing lights but on the wingtips) come on before we take the runway. The Landing light goes off after we're about 4-5 miles from the airport. Recog lights are at pilots discretion. If there are a lot of planes out using the practice area I'm going to, I keep them on.

On approach for landing, recogs come on (if they're not already on) when we start heading back towards grand forks (or wherever we're goin). Landing light comes on within 4-5 miles from the airport.

At night things are a little different. Before start the nav lights (red and green on the wingtips, and white on the back) come on. If we have a rotating beacon that comes on as well. You dont want to turn the strobes on at night because it can ruin other people's night vision. Strobes come on as you cross the hold short line onto the runway.

Comment

Nav lights are a no-go item. They must be lit.

Strobes are turned off when you exit the taxi-way (on when you get out to the taxiway). Never use them on the Ramp.

The rotating beacon may be inop, however your strobes must be operational.

This quote is an insult to all Air Canada employees...even when used in jest.
          "the moral: WestJet pilots are proud, Air Canada pilots are ashamed"

Dale

Comment

Thx people. Yea when I watch airplanes landing most of them have tail lights on (BA, Lufthansa, AC, Westjet, Aeroflot, AA, UA etc.) but this one really shocked me cause i thought they are mendatory.

Comment

Our company SOPs call for Nav and Logo lights to be on during hours of darkness. Logo lights go off above 10,000 feet except when transiting Indonesian, PNG and Afgani airspace.

Some aircraft do not have logo lights fitted. In our fleet many of the Boeing 737-476s do not have logo lights as they were an option not taken up.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                Our company SOPs call for Nav and Logo lights to be on during hours of darkness. Logo lights go off above 10,000 feet except when transiting Indonesian, PNG and Afgani airspace.

Some aircraft do not have logo lights fitted. In our fleet many of the Boeing 737-476s do not have logo lights as they were an option not taken up.
                Whats the reason the lights are to be turned on when passing over those countries?

Comment

Collision avoidance basically.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                    Collision avoidance basically.
                    Is it because these countries' airspace is so small or the ATC is so bad ??? Or maybe other reason ?. Btw. how about "runway turnover lights" or something like that. R those considered to be taxi or landing ???

Comment

Due to non-radar ATC or tense airspace.

Runway Turnoff Lights ar often used in conjunction with taxi lights, they generally shine at about 45 degrees to the aircraft to illuminate the taxiway you are about to turn in to.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                        Due to non-radar ATC or tense airspace.

Runway Turnoff Lights ar often used in conjunction with taxi lights, they generally shine at about 45 degrees to the aircraft to illuminate the taxiway you are about to turn in to.
                        Oh ok. Is it very dangerouse to fly over these countires ???

Comment

Here's ours:

Logo lights: Pilots discretion
                          Nav lights: on when the aircraft is powered up
                          Beacon: on before engine start.
                          Taxi light: on for night taxi while aircraft is moving, turn it off when its not. Also turn it on when cleared to land.
                          Flare lights: On when cleared for the approach.
                          Landing lights: On below 10k or cruise alt if lower.

Takeoff with everything on, shut off flare and taxi lights at 1500ft.
                          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                            Here's ours:

Logo lights: Pilots discretion
                            Nav lights: on when the aircraft is powered up
                            Beacon: on before engine start.
                            Taxi light: on for night taxi while aircraft is moving, turn it off when its not. Also turn it on when cleared to land.
                            Flare lights: On when cleared for the approach.
                            Landing lights: On below 10k or cruise alt if lower.

Takeoff with everything on, shut off flare and taxi lights at 1500ft.
                            Excuse me, which lights are the Flare lights?
                            Sowing the seeds of love
                            Roland Orzabal and Chris Hughes

Comment

When moving an aircraft its always Navigation Lights, Beacon Lights and Logo Lights... the latter being a personal preference...

Thats from an engineering P.O.V.

Comment

Working...
                              X