Question about old planes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about old planes.

I noticed when I went to an airshow last year almost all of the old warbirds (i think all of the ones that were doing this had radial engine) but after they landed the engines were making popping noises. At first it seemed a little odd but they all did it. Anybody know why? Also, why do flames shoot out of the engines on the Connie? I've seen a video where it did that too. Sorry for linking to the blue site, but I had to

High lift / duration cams in those old engines. Also, at lower RPM, they're loading up with fuel hence the flames coming from a short, open exhaust.

We used to lean the BE-18 I flew by looking at the flame coming out of the stacks. Pull it back til it turns grey, then fatten it up til it turns blue again.
    Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
      I noticed when I went to an airshow last year almost all of the old warbirds (i think all of the ones that were doing this had radial engine) but after they landed the engines were making popping noises. At first it seemed a little odd but they all did it. Anybody know why? Also, why do flames shoot out of the engines on the Connie? I've seen a video where it did that too. Sorry for linking to the blue site, but I had to
      Was it the Sun n' Fun airshow down in Lakeland, Flordia?

Speaking of which, I wonder which date that airshow will be open this year?

Comment

Working...
      X