Clear All

• Takeoff without flaps?

Takeoff with 5 deg flaps?
    [photoid=5655683]
    Irfan Faiz Nazerollnizam. Computer geek and gamer

Originally posted by fjki98
    Takeoff with 5 deg flaps?
    [photoid=5655683]
    They always rocket out the BA 757's so I guess there wasn't many passengers or fuel on-board.

Comment

Flap 5" is the standard flap setting on takeoff for the B757.

Dale

Comment

I tought it was the normal 15 deg flap setting? Thanks Dale.

Comment

Flap 15" as far as I can remember is the flap setting for takeoff on the B777, but only 5" is required on the B737, B757, B767 and so on.

Dale

Comment

737's use either 1, 2, or 5 according to a Southwest pilot I talked to

Comment

Yeah, it obviously depends on weight, runway length, wind speed etc, but it's generally 5".

Comment

Well the F70 and F100's can do flapsless t/o along with the A300. As for the A300, its the slats that are extended.
                -Kevin

Comment

Wow, in FS i do 15 deg flap settings in FS. But i saw some B757's and B767's that use 15?

(Thnaks to the moderator that changed my username! )

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                    Well the F70 and F100's can do flapsless t/o along with the A300. As for the A300, its the slats that are extended.
                    As has been stated a billion times before, any aircraft can take off without flaps. The only things that prevent this is runway length, pitch angle required for takeoff, and max tire speeds.

The reason large aircraft use flaps on takeoff is because with flaps extended, the wing will create more lift at a given airspeed. This allows them to leave the ground at a lower airspeed. This decreases the amount of runway needed because it takes less distance to accelerate to that speed.

The reason they dont take off with full flaps is because when you extend flaps, you get both an increase in your coeficient lift and an increase in drag. In the first couple flap settings, you are mostly getting an increase in lift with just a tiny bit of drag, but as you extend them further, you get less of a lift increase and more drag. If they extended the flaps too much, it would make it so the aircraft could fly at a slower airspeed, but because of the large increase in drag, it would take forever to get to that speed.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      The reason they dont take off with full flaps is because when you extend flaps, you get both an increase in your coeficient lift and an increase in drag. In the first couple flap settings, you are mostly getting an increase in lift with just a tiny bit of drag, but as you extend them further, you get less of a lift increase and more drag. If they extended the flaps too much, it would make it so the aircraft could fly at a slower airspeed, but because of the large increase in drag, it would take forever to get to that speed.
                      Yup, it's "swings and roundabouts...."

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE
                        Yeah, it obviously depends on weight, runway length, wind speed etc, but it's generally 5".
                        It also depends on the combination of altitude and temperature (density altitude).

The only commercial plane I have been on that does takeoffs without flaps is the SAAB 340. I was very surprise to see the flaps retracted on my first takeoff on the 340, but this has been common on every 340 flight I have been on.
                        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by bbuse
                          It also depends on the combination of altitude and temperature (density altitude).
                          Hence why I put "etc" on the end there But yeah, the air temperature and humidity also play an important role in calculation V-speeds and flap settings.

Comment

Originally posted by bbuse

The only commercial plane I have been on that does takeoffs without flaps is the SAAB 340. I was very surprise to see the flaps retracted on my first takeoff on the 340, but this has been common on every 340 flight I have been on.
                            I doubt that you saw an A340 do a 0 flap takeoff... it might have performed a 1 flap takeoff (Leading Edge Slats). The A340 is severly underpowered and even with more flap will take a while to reach v1.

Comment

Originally posted by Myriad
                              I doubt that you saw an A340 do a 0 flap takeoff... it might have performed a 1 flap takeoff (Leading Edge Slats). The A340 is severly underpowered and even with more flap will take a while to reach v1.
                              Do you ride the short bus to school?

Comment

Working...
                              X