X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam at MAN
    And in countrys like Iraq ect proberly the fear of being shot down.Like the DHL A300
    But the A300 succesfully landed. Not like the Iran Air A300 that is shot down by an American warship using a SAM.

Leave a comment:

• dave_333
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisburns
    Or the fact that some there is not enough demand maybe,
    I may be wrong but I thought it was simply overflying that country that we were discussing, not having a destination within in. Thats what my previous post was about anyways...

Leave a comment:

• chrisburns
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam at MAN
    And in countrys like Iraq ect proberly the fear of being shot down.Like the DHL A300
    Or the fact that some there is not enough demand maybe,

Leave a comment:

• Sam at MAN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dave_333
    replied
    I noticed when flying on UA from PEK to SFO that they completely went around North Korea, probably due to the tensions with the country and as mentioned earler the lack of safe ATC.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• ACman
    replied
    As Mr.Emu saud about the lack of safe or reliable ATC, many airliners have SATCOM to keep in touch, as Dale explained to me a while ago.

Leave a comment:

• avro_arrow_25206
    replied
    Originally posted by scramjet
    All of this reminds me of this SF short story I read, might have been by Ray Bradbury, where this guy wakes up in a hotel room and can't remember where he is or how he got there or the girl's name he was with. His passport and ID are missing. So he leaves the hotel and takes a bus to some tourist attraction and then cannot find the bus back, the hotel, or an Embassy. The natives always run away from him and the other tourists ignore him. He ends up wandering around the country turning into one of the natives who were at one time tourists themselves.
    Lol, it took me a while to get this, since I thought you meant "aboriginal people" when you said native at first

Leave a comment:

• scramjet
    replied
    All of this reminds me of this SF short story I read, might have been by Ray Bradbury, where this guy wakes up in a hotel room and can't remember where he is or how he got there or the girl's name he was with. His passport and ID are missing. So he leaves the hotel and takes a bus to some tourist attraction and then cannot find the bus back, the hotel, or an Embassy. The natives always run away from him and the other tourists ignore him. He ends up wandering around the country turning into one of the natives who were at one time tourists themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Irfan
    replied
    Or Wars.

Leave a comment:

• uy707
    replied
    Originally posted by ptbodale
    Cuban overfly is a source of revenue for them, as it is for many countries. It is supply and demand and a lot of airlines want to fly over Cuba.

As screaming emu said the reliability of ATC and the countries navaids keep many airlines away from certain countries. It's worth the time and money to go around.
    Adding to that
    - some tacky and touchy governments.
    - lack of proper navaids or simply lack of everything !!!
    - areas that stubbornely keep being uncharted.
    Alain

Leave a comment:

• ptbodale
    replied
    Cuban overfly is a source of revenue for them, as it is for many countries. It is supply and demand and a lot of airlines want to fly over Cuba.

As screaming emu said the reliability of ATC and the countries navaids keep many airlines away from certain countries. It's worth the time and money to go around.

Leave a comment:

• kcmh
    replied
    Overflight fees. Look at the fees Cuba charges airlines to flight south from the US.

This is among only one of the many, many, many reasons.

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by Irfan
    Why some airlines avoiding flying over some unstable countries? Afraid of being shotted down?
    could be that and/or lack of a safe ATC system. Also if something happens where you need to get on the ground ASAP I'd rather go a little bit out of my way than having an all expenses not paid vacation to somewhere I'd be less than welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Irfan
    started a topic Avoiding some unstable countries

Avoiding some unstable countries

Why some airlines avoiding flying over some unstable countries? Afraid of being shotted down?
Working...
X