No announcement yet.

Taxiway Tango Dilemma at KSEA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My flight school had a student land on taxiway Q instead of 33R a while back, before I worked there. It ended the student's career as a Navy pilot, sorry to say.

http://flightaware.com/resources/air...RT+DIAGRAM/pdf
    Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
    lp.org

Comment

Hey, at least at SEA when you land in the wrong spot, you're still landing at SEA!

Down where I go to school, there's 2 airports very close to each other. One is Durango La Plata County (DRO), single 9200 ft runway 2/20, and the other is Animas Air Park (00C), single 7000 ft runway 1/19. Animas is a private field and can only take aircraft as large as a King Air, and DRO is the commercial airfield, can take anything up to a 757.

The problem that some unfamiliar pilots have is confusing the 2 fields. You're 20 miles out and you're basically looking down both runways. A Challenger Business Jet once landed at Animas. When the pilots called their ops department to find out how to get out of the jam, the ops redirected them to their supervisors, they were fired on the spot, get your own way home, last paycheck will be waiting for you when you get here. The plane sat at Animas until one very, very, very cold January morning, about 3am, when the density altitude was low enough for a safe departure and they got it out. If you think that was bad, imagine what would have happened if the 737 pilots didn't realize their mistake in time and weren't able to go around...

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
        The problem that some unfamiliar pilots have is confusing the 2 fields. You're 20 miles out and you're basically looking down both runways. A Challenger Business Jet once landed at Animas. When the pilots called their ops department to find out how to get out of the jam, the ops redirected them to their supervisors, they were fired on the spot, get your own way home, last paycheck will be waiting for you when you get here. The plane sat at Animas until one very, very, very cold January morning, about 3am, when the density altitude was low enough for a safe departure and they got it out. If you think that was bad, imagine what would have happened if the 737 pilots didn't realize their mistake in time and weren't able to go around...
        Wow, I feel sorry for those pilots. But it is understandable, after all there is no room for error in flying. And you say a 737 almost landed at Animas?
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Yeah. Back in the late '80s I believe. Realized his mistake just in time to execute a missed and headed over to DRO. That thing would have probably become a diner if it stayed.

Comment

So from the look of it, it IS landable, meaning concrete and such is poured and all? I thought it was still "dirt" as Joe said, but looking at the pictures it seems to be completed then?

Alex
            Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

It is landable yes but think about what would happen if there were traffic on the taxiway and someone got confused in the air...

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                It is landable yes but think about what would happen if there were traffic on the taxiway and someone got confused in the air...
                If it was VFR conditions, I'd hope they'd think it was traffic on the runway(if they were already landing on it) and preform a go around. Even better, they'd discover it was a taxiway.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                X