X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunk415balla
    replied
    Originally posted by E-Diddy!
    It is landable yes but think about what would happen if there were traffic on the taxiway and someone got confused in the air...
    If it was VFR conditions, I'd hope they'd think it was traffic on the runway(if they were already landing on it) and preform a go around. Even better, they'd discover it was a taxiway.

Leave a comment:

• E-Diddy!
    replied
    It is landable yes but think about what would happen if there were traffic on the taxiway and someone got confused in the air...

Leave a comment:

• ATrude777
    replied
    So from the look of it, it IS landable, meaning concrete and such is poured and all? I thought it was still "dirt" as Joe said, but looking at the pictures it seems to be completed then?

Alex

Leave a comment:

• E-Diddy!
    replied
    Yeah. Back in the late '80s I believe. Realized his mistake just in time to execute a missed and headed over to DRO. That thing would have probably become a diner if it stayed.

Leave a comment:

• Crunk415balla
    replied
    Originally posted by E-Diddy!
    The problem that some unfamiliar pilots have is confusing the 2 fields. You're 20 miles out and you're basically looking down both runways. A Challenger Business Jet once landed at Animas. When the pilots called their ops department to find out how to get out of the jam, the ops redirected them to their supervisors, they were fired on the spot, get your own way home, last paycheck will be waiting for you when you get here. The plane sat at Animas until one very, very, very cold January morning, about 3am, when the density altitude was low enough for a safe departure and they got it out. If you think that was bad, imagine what would have happened if the 737 pilots didn't realize their mistake in time and weren't able to go around...
    Wow, I feel sorry for those pilots. But it is understandable, after all there is no room for error in flying. And you say a 737 almost landed at Animas?

Leave a comment:

• E-Diddy!
    replied
    Hey, at least at SEA when you land in the wrong spot, you're still landing at SEA!

Down where I go to school, there's 2 airports very close to each other. One is Durango La Plata County (DRO), single 9200 ft runway 2/20, and the other is Animas Air Park (00C), single 7000 ft runway 1/19. Animas is a private field and can only take aircraft as large as a King Air, and DRO is the commercial airfield, can take anything up to a 757.

The problem that some unfamiliar pilots have is confusing the 2 fields. You're 20 miles out and you're basically looking down both runways. A Challenger Business Jet once landed at Animas. When the pilots called their ops department to find out how to get out of the jam, the ops redirected them to their supervisors, they were fired on the spot, get your own way home, last paycheck will be waiting for you when you get here. The plane sat at Animas until one very, very, very cold January morning, about 3am, when the density altitude was low enough for a safe departure and they got it out. If you think that was bad, imagine what would have happened if the 737 pilots didn't realize their mistake in time and weren't able to go around...

Leave a comment:

• Van Hoolio
    replied
    My flight school had a student land on taxiway Q instead of 33R a while back, before I worked there. It ended the student's career as a Navy pilot, sorry to say.

http://flightaware.com/resources/air...RT+DIAGRAM/pdf

Leave a comment:

• Leftseat86
    replied
    The best way to prevent this would be to keep the approach lighting on all the time.

Leave a comment:

• kcmh
    replied
    Originally posted by Crunk415balla
    I heard Palm Springs has a similar problem.

Yes they do

Leave a comment:

• Crunk415balla
    replied
    I heard Palm Springs has a similar problem.

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by JordanD
    Wouldn't the combination of no centerline lights, runway edge lights, PAPI/VASI, be a dead give away that it wasn't 16R? If they were flying an ILS approach how would it be possible for them to land on T?
    Well, during the day when the sun is out, you can't usually see runway lights anyway, so they're turned off. All of these landings have happened during the day. I believe (at least I would hope) that all of these landings on Tango were done whiel doing visual approaches. Instead of having everybody shoot the ILS, when the weather is nice, to speed up traffic, controllers will just ask if you have the airport in sight and clear you to land. Saves a lot of time and enables them to handle more traffic. That's why whenever the weather sucks, there's always delays.

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    replied
    Wouldn't the combination of no centerline lights, runway edge lights, PAPI/VASI, be a dead give away that it wasn't 16R? If they were flying an ILS approach how would it be possible for them to land on T?

Leave a comment:

• kcmh
    replied
    LAS has a problem like that also see link ----> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...2,0.005407&t=k

They now have painted lines and TAXI ONLY.

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by indian airlines
    Emu, is Tango an active taxiway or inactive pending the third runway being built? If it's inactive right now, they could probably cover it up with black tarp or some other covering that would be markedly different from the adjoining runway. It's a similar idea to it being painted a different color, except that painting would cost more.

Its active, but is seldom used...which is a good thing. The only people that use it are the few GA aircraft that land there and the one coorporate flight department that is based at SEA (Weyerheuser if I remember correctly).

Leave a comment:

• indian airlines
    replied
    Emu, is Tango an active taxiway or inactive pending the third runway being built? If it's inactive right now, they could probably cover it up with black tarp or some other covering that would be markedly different from the adjoining runway. It's a similar idea to it being painted a different color, except that painting would cost more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X