Airport codes in the United States.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport codes in the United States.

I've been curious about this for a while. How does the FAA decide whether or not an airport gets an identifier with a K at the beginning? I can't think of a reason. I thought maybe towered airports only but there's a lot of nontowered airports with a "K" identifier. Then I thought maybe airports with a paved runway, but recently I flew to I69 in Ohio, which has a paved runway. Does runway lenght have something to do with it?

Not all airports have the letter "K" at the beginning. Up here in Alaska, and Hawaii our airports start with "P", example: Anchorage=PANC.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Does the "I" indicate anything? Along with Jordan's I69, two airports near DAY are I17 & I think I19. Parr Airport in Zanesville, OH is 42I, and all three of these have paved runways.

A few airports on US soil in the Caribbean have "T" at the start of their code; SJU is TJSJ, STT is TIST, & STX is TISX.

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

I know that K is designated for the continental US. Usually on charts the small grass strips have identifiers like 23KY or something like that, but I don't see why something in Ohio would be I69.

Comment

There are many airports that aren't K###. Princeton for example is 39N. I don't know why though, or what convention regulates this.
          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
            I know that K is designated for the continental US. Usually on charts the small grass strips have identifiers like 23KY or something like that, but I don't see why something in Ohio would be I69.
            Some airports in Ohio have an OH** distinction. OH36 is Zanesville's Riverside Airport.

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
              Not all airports have the letter "K" at the beginning. Up here in Alaska, and Hawaii our airports start with "P", example: Anchorage=PANC.
              Some of the ICAO identifiers sort of make sense:

PANC Anchorage
              PAEI Fairbanks
              PAJN Juneau

"PA" I assume means "Pacific Alaska"

PHNL Honolulu
              PHTO Hilo
              PHOG Maui

PH, Pacific Hawaii

EHAM Amsterdam
              EH, Europe Holland

EGLL London Heathrow
              EG, Europe Great Britain
              Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
              lp.org

Comment

PAEI is Fairbanks Air Force Base, PAFA is Fairbanks International Airport.

Comment

And they are both in Fairbanks, very good.
                  Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
                  lp.org

Comment

In Canada, most of the ICAO's start with C like CYYZ. CYVR, CYEG, on the other hand alot of the IATA's start with Y, like YHZ, YYZ. YUL.
                    -Kevin

Comment

Is your question about IATA codes (3 letters) or ICAO codes (4 letters)?

Comment

if there is a number in the airport code it doesn't get a K....not entirely sure why.

Comment

"K" is the letter used to designate Continental United States for four letter ICAO airport codes.

Only airports that get 4 letter codes in the US are the airports currently equipped with an ILS, or planning one.

The airport I learned to fly at recently got a 4 letter code from the 3 character code it had after the runway was extended and an ILS planned.
                          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Working...
                          X