No announcement yet.

Spoilers not deployed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean I see spoilers being deployed whilst on descent, not a few seconds before touchdown.

I think a 747 can still land sucessfully by using the auto-brakes only. The runway in Hong Kong has a length of 3800m.

Also, I remember the captain mention something about fast approach. I guess the pilot is trying to slow the plane to taxi speed just before the plane reach the high speed taxiway so that the runway can be cleared quickly. Maybe that is the reason they don't use spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by alvcheng
      I mean I see spoilers being deployed whilst on descent, not a few seconds before touchdown.

I think a 747 can still land sucessfully by using the auto-brakes only. The runway in Hong Kong has a length of 3800m.

Also, I remember the captain mention something about fast approach. I guess the pilot is trying to slow the plane to taxi speed just before the plane reach the high speed taxiway so that the runway can be cleared quickly. Maybe that is the reason they don't use spoilers.
      Ah, that explains it then.

If the aircraft's gate is towards the end of the runway then there's not much point in vacating early, so they'll often keep it rolling to the last taxiway, thus there's not as much of a hurry in stopping.

Alternatively you can touchdown towards the middle of the runway, then apply spoilers and reversers etc.

Cheers,

Dale
      Last edited by G-DALE; 2006-08-18, 20:41.

Comment

747's can stop pretty fast..

A normal arrival on 33L

[photoid=5682767]

A 774 half way down the rwy(33L)

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
          747's can stop pretty fast..
          Yes.... With spoilers and reversers deployed

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE
            Yes.... With spoilers and reversers deployed
            How about without them reversers and spoilers, how much of a 3800m runway will it have to use before it is at deadstop ? Just curious if you happened to kow that as well.

Thanks
            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE
              Ah, that explains it then.

If the aircraft's gate is towards the end of the runway then there's not much point in vacating early, so they'll often keep it rolling to the last taxiway, thus there's not as much of a hurry in stopping.

Alternatively you can touchdown towards the middle of the runway, then apply spoilers and reversers etc.

Cheers,

Dale
              Mr. Boeing would have a hernia! Roll throughs still require the speedbrake to be armed and idle reverse selected (selecting idle reverse will deploy the speedbrake even if it was not armed. The only thing that will not allow the spoiler to be deployed is if the thrust was never retarded to idle. 3,800m would not be long enough in that situation.

Most airline SOPS dictate a touchdown in the touchdown zone (prior to 2,500' in a -400). Even our Dash 8s are required to do that since the installation of QARs.

Comment

CX definately requires speedbrakes to be used for every landing. Not only does it act as an aerodynamic block to airflow, but it pushes the weight of the aircraft down onto the breakes and wheels which helps it to stop. We most certainly do not disarm the speedbrakes even if we can roll the end end of the runway. It would be as ridiculous as landing halfway down the runway on purpose because you merely want to vacate at the end! In CX we always land in the 1000-2000ft touchdown zone. Anything outside this will earn you a fail on a flight test.
                Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Parker
                  In CX we always land in the 1000-2000ft touchdown zone. Anything outside this will earn you a fail on a flight test.
                  or worse

[photoid=519106]

Comment

Would strong headwinds and the combination of needing to get to the opposite end of the runway to exit have any impact on the decision to do this?
                    ________
                    WENDIE 99
                    Aeroplan Elite / *A Gold

Next Flights:

Jan 6th YZF-YEG-YYC-YYZ
                    Jan 7th YYZ-YEG-YZF

TBC Jan 14th YZF-YEG-YOW
                    TBC Jan 17th YOW-YEG-YZF

Jan 23rd YZF-YEG-YOW-YHZ-YQX
                    Jan 27th YQX-YYT-YYZ-FRA-BUD
                    Feb 13th LBJ-FRA-YYZ-YOW
                    Feb 17th YOW-YEG
                    Feb 18th YEG-YZF

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Parker
                      It would be as ridiculous as landing halfway down the runway on purpose because you merely want to vacate at the end!
                      Okay, in a B747 or similar I agree, not so bad in something like a Dash 8 or an F50 though.

Dale

Comment

I remember when i was in Sydney earlier this year I saw a Dash 8 touching down right on the piano key, just to vacate teh runway as quickly as possible to get to the gate (runway 16R).

Comment

Actually do the spoilers reduce the speed ?? I thought it helps the aircraft stay on the runway and not "jump" just after touchdown.
                          Oh and btw. 767s also can stop really fast. When I was flying to Warsaw captain set autobrakes to 3 and with reversers it stopped reallly fast. When flying something smaller, like 737, do you have to use spoilers ?

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                            Actually do the spoilers reduce the speed ?? I thought it helps the aircraft stay on the runway and not "jump" just after touchdown.
                            Oh and btw. 767s also can stop really fast. When I was flying to Warsaw captain set autobrakes to 3 and with reversers it stopped reallly fast. When flying something smaller, like 737, do you have to use spoilers ?
                            They do reduce the speed as well as dumping the lift as you said. Whenever you stick something up into the airstream it creates drag, especially when they're as big as spoilers are. Also, a combination of dumping the lift created by the wings, there's also a bit of downforce created, this pushes the airplane harder down onto the wheels so the wheel brakes are more effective.

Comment

Yeah, but when you use spoilers in the air to reduce speed, do they casue some kind of turbulence ? I was flying on A320 and pilot used spoilers on descend and except for the noise it was shaky. I would like to know if it was caused by spoilers or just the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                                Yeah, but when you use spoilers in the air to reduce speed, do they casue some kind of turbulence ? I was flying on A320 and pilot used spoilers on descend and except for the noise it was shaky. I would like to know if it was caused by spoilers or just the wind.
                                Spoilers will do that on aircraft, it gets pretty shifty.
                                -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X