Glass VSI's in airliners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass VSI's in airliners.

I've noticed that on some older planes they will have a "glass" VSI but all of the other instruments will be the old "steam guages". I've seen this on WN 733's and in a few cockpit shots of DC-8's. Why did they choose only to install a new VSI? Might be a dumb question but I'm really curious about it.

Because its usually also the TCAS display.

Rgds
    RJP
    View my photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Oops I didn't think about that. Makes sense though. Thanks for answering.

Comment

Originally posted by RJP
        Because its usually also the TCAS display.

Rgds
        RJP
        and also probably the navigational aides. Also saw some on stage II 707s as early as 1988.

Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I haven't seen one used as a navaid, but I don't see why that's not possible.

The TCAS function on the VSI shows a distance arc from your aircraft and targets aircraft with transponders on it.

If you get a traffic advisory, the blip for that airplane turns yellow, and you get an audible voice as well. A resolution advisory turns the blip red, and an arc appears on the VSI to prompt the required descent or climb. You also get an audible voice telling what to do.
          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

While taking a class in CRJ systems here at school, I got to wondering why they dont use the voice of "Frau" from Austin Powers for any warnings/resolution advisories. Would certainly get your attention.

Comment

FedEx has glass VSI's, they can update and make glass PFD's and HSI's but that costs $4 mil to do on one 727, and that upgrade is worth more than the aircraft.
              -Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X