Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are.......

Russian propellers BLUE ! ?

Does anyone know why russian props are blue or are they following a trend of repulsive colours like their green cockpits ?

Cheers !

My guess..... The russians always like to be festive so they either chose a material that is blue, or someone thought it would be funny to put a little paint on them.....
    O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

My theory: To better tell the blades apart from the background under snowy conditions. I could imagine that during very heavy snowstorms, which are certainly no stranger to Russia, pilots had a problem with the visualization of the black&white contrast between props and wall of snow.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        My theory: To better tell the blades apart from the background under snowy conditions. I could imagine that during very heavy snowstorms, which are certainly no stranger to Russia, pilots had a problem with the visualization of the black&white contrast between props and wall of snow.
        Great theory, sounds reasonable.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
          Interesting. I think upnorth Scandinavia like Norway and Finland has some of it's Air Force acft's prop blades painted with orange or yellow colours. That's to seperate the two colour tone, makind the blades easier to spot just like DAL767-400ER said with these russian types.
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I guess the option with the snow is pretty possible, but it may also be a part of c/s - Aeroflot's colors are blue and red and white

Comment

So it makes the wreckage easier to spot.

Sorry, I had to.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                LOL !

Thanks guys ! the snow theory sounds like a reasonable one to me
                I guess it's no different from having yellow or white tips on black props

Cheers !

Will

Comment

Colin's explaination sounds like it may be the reason, either that or they just paint things a little differently, like their cockpits.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                    I guess the option with the snow is pretty possible, but it may also be a part of c/s - Aeroflot's colors are blue and red and white
                    If that were the case, the blades wouldn't be painted bright-blue, but dirt-blue .

Comment

Their cockpits are painted green to help produce a relaxed work area. Apparently it's a relaxing colour.

Looks like yuck to me, but it seems to work.

Dunno about their props though.

Andy

Comment

That's just cruel

Comment

Originally posted by exmanx
                          Their cockpits are painted green to help produce a relaxed work area. Apparently it's a relaxing colour.
                          I thought it was just green primer which the manufacturers didn't bother to overpaint ... same with the wheel hubs of a lot of Russian aircraft.
                          [photoid=5806597]

Comment

Originally posted by kukkudrill
                            I thought it was just green primer which the manufacturers didn't bother to overpaint ... same with the wheel hubs of a lot of Russian aircraft.
                            [photoid=5806597]
                            True, I noticed that on fighter aircraft as well....why is the gear green?
                            greetings,
                            Philip

Comment

Re: Milestone

Originally posted by philip
                              True, I noticed that on fighter aircraft as well....why is the gear green?
                              Interesting. I haven't quite noticed this ever before. It's be nice to know about these stuff regarding russian acfts.
                              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X