Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Parker
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mungous]^ 'Tis a nice shot. Is that purely because of the distraction factor or is there some other reason?
    [QUOTE]

Past experience by the airline involving a lawsuit with a photo showing two smiling pilots neither of which were looking at the instruments.

Leave a comment:

• ACman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cam
    Yes. Magnets would screw with the CRT monitor. But it would have to be a pretty frikin' big magnet.
    Yeah I put a hard drive magnet to my TV set once :P Took a while to set it back to its origonal setting lol.

Leave a comment:

• Mungous
    replied
    ^ 'Tis a nice shot. Is that purely because of the distraction factor or is there some other reason?

Surely with this magnet thing it would need to be a pretty decent magnet for it to interfere with something at at least half a metre a metre away?

Leave a comment:

• Colin Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by Cam
    OT: Colin, love your avatar...is it in the database? Is that at 777 deck?
    Yes that is indeed a 777 and no it isn't in the database. We are unfortunately not allowed to take photos from the flightdeck, so I have to be careful. Can't have management thinking I am breaking that rule, which of course I would never even contemplate doing.

Leave a comment:

• Cam
    replied
    Yes. Magnets would screw with the CRT monitor. But it would have to be a pretty frikin' big magnet.

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    replied
    Thanks for the input. Another question (prepare, because truthfully I know jack shit about the different types of monitors (LCD, CTR, etc). Don't a lot of older glass cockpits (MD-11, 767, 757's) have CRT monitors, meaning magnets would screw with the color and all that (like they would with a computer monitor, etc)?

Leave a comment:

• Cam
    replied
    OT: Colin, love your avatar...is it in the database? Is that at 777 deck?

Leave a comment:

• Colin Parker
    replied
    Actually magnetized material is considered by IATA as being "Dangerous Goods" and thus must be shipped according to certain rules and regulations governing packaging and maximum limits.

Leave a comment:

• avro_arrow_25206
    replied
    Originally posted by Crism
    I believe that magnets only mess up hard drives . So in that case, if an A320 has teh harder driver, it's teh die.
    They also mess up your CRT monitors, so if an A320 has teh CRT display, it's teh die

Leave a comment:

• Crism
    replied
    Originally posted by JordanD
    I was talking about the computers, not the compass. Derrrrrr. And not a 172, an A320. derrrrr.
    I believe that magnets only mess up hard drives . So in that case, if an A320 has teh harder driver, it's teh die.

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    replied
    I was talking about the computers, not the compass. Derrrrrr. And not a 172, an A320. derrrrr.

Leave a comment:

• Crism
    replied
    OH NOZ0RS TEH MAGNETS ARE TAKED BY TSA!!!!!

That's what causes deviation in a 172....various electronics interfering with the magnets in the magnetic compass ...I hope you knew that...

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    started a topic Magnets.

Magnets.

Ok be prepared. Wierd question. But could really strong magnets interfere with a heavily computerized plane like an A320 (or really any modern plane). I know magnets will ruin a PC, but I was thinking an airliner would be a lot more secure.
Working...
X