Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Airbus use 'Simple' wings?

Hey all.

I posted this in another forum and didn't get a very active response.
    Maybe someone here can help me.

I have started a degree in Aerospace Engineering this year and we were discussing flight mechanics in class today - all about leading/trailing edge lift devices.

The lecturor had made a graph which showed a number of aircraft, 737, A320 etc and it showed that Boeing favoured the leading edge+triple slotted trailing edge setup, whilst airbus mainly used leading edge+single (and occasional double) slotted trailing edge devices.

Can anyone help me find out why the 2 manufacturors use different setups on what should be the same wing - A320/737 should have similar characteristics.

Also, I was told that Boeing switched to single slotted flaps on 777, then reverted to triple/double on the 787. What is going on?

Thanks alot,
    Jay
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

It all depends on the wing and its aerodynamic efficency. Airbus designed the wings with Single Slotted-ness in design because of less cost for MTC. Think of a double-slotted flap, it has twice the parts as a single slotted in the sense. More track connectors ect ect... Doulbe slotted also require more greaseing than single slotted. Common sense why.

But Airbus simply uses single slotted because of MTC/Cost issues and its the way the wing has been designed. As it produces the most lift contrary to the extension limit against the set speeds.

On the 777 it is similar to the 767, A310, and A300. The inner trailing edge flaps are double slotted while the outter trailing edge are single slotted.
    -Kevin

Comment

I'm pleased my answer on the other thread was helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
        I'm pleased my answer on the other thread was helpful.
        AJ, I would have taken your response and framed it...
        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Haha that's the way!

Comment

AJ,
            It definitely was a great help, but the post kinda petered out.

Why did Boeing go back to double slots with 787?

Comment

I have not seen the full specs for the 787 yet however it could be one of two reasons that I can forsee.

If it is just the inboard flaps being double slotted then, as per the 747-8 and 777, it reduces wing bending moment by whilst still increasing lift. This allows for lighter structure to be used on the wing.

If it is all flaps then it would be the return of the high speed wing theory. Boeing wanting a Mach 0.86 wing to land on the same runways as the Boeing 767 would require significant return to high lift flaps for approach speed reduction.

Comment

Thanks.

We still have to cover moments in fullness, but I can see where you are coming from.

Read today that Emirates has decided to cancel it's A340 orders. How true is this, and is this the end of the line for this aircraft?

Comment

Working...
                X