Aircraft Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Maintenance

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this in, but I'm trying to increase my knowledge of aircraft maintenance.

All I want to know is what does maintenace consist of? I've heard of A, B, C and D checks, and I've heard of Maintenace, Repair and Overhaul (MRO). Do maintenance companies also do repaints? Can the same maintenance hangar do over a (for example) Embraer 110 right up to the Antonov An-225? Or do you need specifically designed hangars for different manufacturers, if that makes sense?

Regards,
    DTVAirport

Originally posted by bmiChris2k5
    All I want to know is what does maintenace consist of? I've heard of A, B, C and D checks,
    The Letter-checks vary in extensivenes and schedules.
    An A-Check occures roughly all 2 months, or after 350-650 flight hours depending on plane type, and consists of an electronics check of systems necessary for flying as well as cabin work. It is the most common maintenance check of a plane.
    B-Checks are not too common anymore, as they used to be necessary primarily on Classic 737s and 747s. Happened roughly every 3-5 months /1000 flight hours, however I'm not sure what exactly was done under such a check.
    C-Checks are more extensive and include a check of the plane's structur, as well as testing all electronics and other stuff. Happens every 15-18 months, depending on plane type, takes 3-5 days, IIRC.
    A D-Check essentially means taking the plane fully apart, controlling every single part of it, and putting it back together, with new parts if necessary. Obviously, all paint is being peeled of the plane to get a detailed and clear look at the fuselage. Happens every 6-10 years, again depending on plane type, and takes roughly 40,000 hours of work (combined working time of all mechs working on the plane). Takes at least a month to complete.

Originally posted by bmiChris2k5
    Can the same maintenance hangar do over a (for example) Embraer 110 right up to the Antonov An-225? Or do you need specifically designed hangars for different manufacturers, if that makes sense?
    Not all planes, but usually the bigger maintenance facilities are very flexible (as is alot of their equipment), e.g. Lufthansa Technik here in Hamburg repairs everything from A319s and 733s up to 744s and A346s in their main hangar.

Comment

Alles klar - all said.
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Have a look at Air Canada Technical Services website. It will give you some information on what our Maintenance people can handle.

http://www.aircanada.com/acts/en/about_cont.html

Comment

Working...
        X