PIA 747-200 go-around-video and some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIA 747-200 go-around-video and some questions

The ATC is definitely the real kicker in this one. Made it a lot more interesting.

Source: http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-6419.html

I'm just curious, shouldn't the unsafe landing gear light come on right after gear deployment or can it come on at any time after the gear has been delpoyed? Also, can the unsafe gear light come on even if you have greens for all gear? And finally, not doubting the pilots or anything, but out of my own curiosity, how does the pilot know for sure that after cycling the gear and not getting a warning light that all gears are down and locked, apart from the four greens that they'll see on the gear indicator panel? Do they look at hydraulic pressure and such?

There really isnt any "GEAR UNSAFE" light. On the classic 747's its just a 2-phase light that can change to green or red by varring the voltages. The indicator light will be labeled to the gear that it represents. So if its called "NOSE GEAR" its fro the Nose gear. When the pilot selects gear down, it turns red, meaning the gear is in transit. When it turns green, it means its down and lcoked. When the gear goes up, the green light turns to red until the gear is locked in the compartment, and once stowed away the light turns off.

If the light does not turn green on extension, than the gear has not successfully lowerd or locked. If it does not turn off after retraction, then you know that it is probably not up.
    -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
      If the light does not turn green on extension, than the gear has not successfully lowerd or locked.
      or the proximity sensor is broken. At least with general aviation aircraft, most "gear unsafe" issues are actually sensor problems. GA aircraft use microswitches (very small switches that are pressed by various points on the gear) which sometimes can malfunction.

Comment

The pilot doesnt seem very co-oprative when they keep asking him the reason for go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam at MAN
          The pilot doesnt seem very co-oprative when they keep asking him the reason for go around.
          Key to not crashing an airplane, do the following IN ORDER

1)Aviate, 2)Navigate, 3)Communicate

I dont care what ATC is asking me for, if I'm busy doing something critical (like a go around) all they're getting from me until I have more time is "stand-by". Too many plane crashes happen because pilots get distracted from their duties by doing things that aren't important at the moment. A great example is when the entire crew of an Eastern L-1011 got distracted replacing a light bulb in the cockpit, autopilot disconnected, and hundreds of people ended up dead in the swamp because nobody was paying attention.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by ACman
            There really isnt any "GEAR UNSAFE" light. On the classic 747's its just a 2-phase light that can change to green or red by varring the voltages. The indicator light will be labeled to the gear that it represents. So if its called "NOSE GEAR" its fro the Nose gear. When the pilot selects gear down, it turns red, meaning the gear is in transit. When it turns green, it means its down and lcoked. When the gear goes up, the green light turns to red until the gear is locked in the compartment, and once stowed away the light turns off.

If the light does not turn green on extension, than the gear has not successfully lowerd or locked. If it does not turn off after retraction, then you know that it is probably not up.
            Right. But the pilot continues the approach till he was quite close to the runway. Was it because one of the greens turned to red and green all of sudden (not properly locked)?

Comment

Is there a proximity switch on the downlock strut? so when its fully extended the light will turn green to show locked? Also on the shock strut, isnt there something called "Olioes" cant spell it sorry, doesnt that give you a down and locked reading?, were just touching on this stuff in class.

Comment

Nice video. Great ATC vs Pilot Comm. Did anyone noticed the smooth landing ? Doesnt get any smoother than that.

When this occur, does the F/A announce the go-around in the cabin to the passengers, or do they just remain seated and "work" like nothing had happened?
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                  Nice video. Great ATC vs Pilot Comm. Did anyone noticed the smooth landing ? Doesnt get any smoother than that.

When this occur, does the F/A announce the go-around in the cabin to the passengers, or do they just remain seated and "work" like nothing had happened?
                  Good question, once during the MAN - LHE sector of PK 712 from JFK, 7 mins into take off we suffered a big jolt that shook everyone and there was no communication from anyone for minutes. And trust me in that situation even "minutes" seemed too long. Later was informed that another 747 crossed from under the plane and due to the air pressure created by it PK 712 suffered a shock. Not a very pleasent feeling with over 7 hours more to go!

Comment

PDX and SFO go-arounds...

Emu is correct....ignore the ATC asking why, until it's time to answer.

I was on an Alaska Airlines MD-83 on go around from SJC - PDX, on final to PDX- in May of 2003, and it was a gear indicator light problem. I was taking pictures out the right side- and I noticed on final we weren't descending correctly, probably about 2-3 miles out, then I noticed we were flying level, so I kept snapping pictures(one is posted on JP.net under my name), then we over flew the runway,.......as we passed the tower, the Cockpit advised us we'd have to go-around,,,,,then silence(both from the cockpit and the cabin..!!!!) I told the lady next to me," no big,,just standard procedure..). As we made a right turn over the Columbia River, and headed towards Mt St Helens, the pilot told us we were going to make an emergency landing in about 20 mins( great..my 1st flight in about 5years,,and get on this clunker.!!) Anyways, they advised fire trucks would be waiting for us, but it was strictly AS company procedure,,not to worry... we landed without incident, which I figured it was all playing by the book. No big.

SFO...I was out filming SFO awhile back,,,watch this clip.............

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78638737&hl=en

Notice how the ATC was all set to 'find out' what happened, which I agree with EMU...what's the big hurry..? He hasn't even cleared the runways yet...wait until the jet is secure and on the right track...&...while the LH cockpit was still trying to figure out the frequency and such,,and fly the jet---and SFO is really hectic at times.....

There was another go-around the same day with a Cathay Pacific 744 on this video.....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50552555&hl=en

The SFO approach over the top requires some real tight turns into the pattern, and the Int'l big-boyz come in w-a-y to high sometimes....

the videos aren't that great, but interesting on the procedures.

SJC Alien

Comment

Yup, the videos are great samples, Alien,

The Cathay seems to be interesting to know about. I could understand it if it was at Kai Tak, but isn't SFO a flat out area and it's surroundings ?

Why I mention Kai tak, (Mountain sides) is that You would miss the ILS if approaching to high unlike SFO (flat out) you would have time to correct it, Anyone feel me ?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                        Anyone feel me ?
                        I think i'll pass on that

Comment

Cathay 744

Thanks--Well, since it is flat over water, the inbound flights on that track are restricted to a very narrow arrival corridor over the top of SFO-, and I don't know how far out they once ATC gives them the turn into the line-- but it happens after that, when the are lined up for 28L/R--....I don't know what altitude they are at after turning--I am not a pilot-but, that is visible on the Cathay video, as I mistakenly fix on the AS 737NG, but when I pan up to the Cathay 744 above it....it is really high.......way too high to be exact, and I have no idea where the Jet was when it turned for final. Also, I just can't understand what the cockpit said over the scanner..when giving a reason for the go-around. Thank you,

Alien

Comment

Originally posted by SJC Alien
                            Thanks--Well, since it is flat over water, the inbound flights on that track are restricted to a very narrow arrival corridor over the top of SFO-, and I don't know how far out they once ATC gives them the turn into the line-- but it happens after that, when the are lined up for 28L/R--....I don't know what altitude they are at after turning--I am not a pilot-but, that is visible on the Cathay video, as I mistakenly fix on the AS 737NG, but when I pan up to the Cathay 744 above it....it is really high.......way too high to be exact, and I have no idea where the Jet was when it turned for final. Also, I just can't understand what the cockpit said over the scanner..when giving a reason for the go-around. Thank you,

Alien
                            Thanks for your insight about SFO. Agree, it was hard to interpret what was said on the scanner.

Comment

SFO is one of our destinations where we are advised to be prepared to be kept very high and to beware of high rates of descent. In these cases it is suggested we slow up early and configure early to assist with high rates of descent required by ATC.

That said, I am not sure this is one of those cases. It almost looks like ATC were simply unable to allow the CX to descend enough to commence an approach due to other traffic, but it is a little hard to decipher.
                              Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Working...
                              X