Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A319-111 paradox

Hello there,

In normal situations, I can make clearly differences between an Airbus A319's from A320's about its lenght and emergency exits/windows... But I got with an interesting detail. Don't know if it has been posted before but it's my chance to have an answer

[photoid=5861948]

I've seen only, or at least just in the Easyjets A319s that they have two window exits, common/normal on A320s.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5840930

As a -112 version

[photoid=5861868]

As a -111 version also.

Any explanation?
    Last edited by meneses24; 2006-11-27, 02:15.

The -111/112 moniker isn't related to the number of emergency exits, if that's what you are referring to. Rather, adding an -11, -12, or -13X to the plane version is Airbus' way of identifying what type of engine the plane has, though I always fail to remember which number exactly is for which manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
      The -111/112 moniker isn't related to the number of emergency exits, if that's what you are referring to

Not for sure...would be a rare exits designator

I talked with an Airbus F/O and talk me about the high density airplanes, as Easyjet A319s with double emergency windows.

That may be a reason...but still waiting for an expert...

Comment

Air Canada's A319 fleet has two types of A319's.

35 aircraft are classified as 114. They use CFM56-5AS engines. The 114's have one overwing emergency exit (each side).

We have 10 A319's that have CFM56-5B6 engines. They are 112's. The 112's have a single overwing exits (each side).

The seating configuration is 14J 106Y.

Comment

Its because easyjet operates them in a very high density configuration, so they ordered the A319 with 2 overwing exits to satisfy the JAA or whoever the european aviation authority is requirements.

Comment

The A319 was certified for something around 146 or 149 or so pax. Easyjet wanted a high density version with 156 seats. Airbus then had, according to some regulations unknown to me, to make a version of the a319 with two overwing exit doors.

I don't know of any other airline, which ordered this A319-version.

Gerardo
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Cebu Pacific also operate their A319-111's with double exit on the wings as well as on their -112's

[photoid=5855952]

[photoid=5835915]
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Thanks for DAL767400ER, ptbodale, E-Diddy, LX-A343, and Max Power as well. Now I cleared up my mind. Thanks again !

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
                  Airbus then had, according to some regulations unknown to me, to make a version of the a319 with two overwing exit doors.
                  The regulations you refer to are regulations found at both the FAA and the JAA that in case of an emergency, all pax have to be out of the plane in less than 90 seconds, and at the same time, the different door types are certified for a different number of passengers. E.g. the overwing exists are certified to allow 20 pax to exit through them in the 90-second limit in an emergency, IIRC. Then of course there are also the regulations that exit doors must not be apart further than a specific lenght. Now, I'm not sure what the exact number is for which another pair of overwing exits is required, but in the case of EZY, their seating of 156 is above that limit.

Comment

The irony of it is that, at a later stage, Easyjet found that 156 was a bit too cramped, and they reduced the seating by one row.... which would have been sufficiently served by one overwing exit!

Comment

Originally posted by MaltaAirSpotter
                      The irony of it is that, at a later stage, Easyjet found that 156 was a bit too cramped, and they reduced the seating by one row.... which would have been sufficiently served by one overwing exit!
                      Has nothing to do with being cramped, EZY just realised that the 6 extra seats were not worth the cost of having a 4th FA on the flight.

Comment

OK I stand corrected on that one. But the point was, they went through all this to get 6 extra seats. Now they've removed them!

Comment

Working...
                        X