Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L1011 question....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • L1011 question....

    Just a quickie.....

    Why doesn't the L 1011 have a center bogie?

    (I did a search, but couldn't find anything)
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

  • #2
    It's probably because it doesn't need the center bogie as much as it had with the DC10 and MD11 which had a heavier weight than the L1011.

    EL Ten Eleven measurement on Empty Weight.

    L1011-1 - 224,579 lb (101,867 kg)
    L1011-200 - 231,600 lb (105,052 kg)
    L1011-500 - 232,749 lb (105,573 kg)

    Related to this issue. (Just an example)

    As you can see with the wheel configuration of IL-96 vs A345/6 which both has the same config. The A345/6 has more or less in Max takeoff weight : aprox 380.345 kg whereas the IL-96 has 250,000 kg. The IL-86/96 has a shorter body compared to the Airbus type and weighs alot lighter than the mentioned opponent. All in all the extra four wheels (14 in total wheel config) is there to help and unload the stress-weight from the outher main gears.
    [photoid=5782175]

    [photoid=5864235]

    Back to the L1011, I just think there was not need for these extra wheels in its case.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

    Comment


    • #3
      That is correct John. Its simply a issue of its MTOW, so it doesnt need it.

      The DC-10-40 was heavier, as well as the -30, so it required a center bogie.
      -Kevin

      Comment


      • #4
        Just as the light DC10-10 did not have the centre boogie-usually a spotters clue, but I also recall reading that the -30 and -40 could be configured such that the centre one did not lower.

        [QUOTE=

        Back to the L1011, I just think there was not need for these extra wheels in its case.[/QUOTE]

        Yeah, Lockheed built it right to begin with.LOL

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by a78jumper
          Just as the light DC10-10 did not have the centre boogie-usually a spotters clue, but I also recall reading that the -30 and -40 could be configured such that the centre one did not lower.
          I remember when Lufthansa had there DC10-30's. They had a couple of them flying charterflights in the summer and the center main gear was not in use when on the ground. I think I have a photo of it some were!

          Soren
          Regards
          Soren Madsen

          Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CPH Aviation
            I remember when Lufthansa had there DC10-30's. They had a couple of them flying charterflights in the summer and the center main gear was not in use when on the ground. I think I have a photo of it some were!

            Soren

            [photoid=394485]

            [photoid=394484]

            Hmm It's very hard to tell, but I guess you are right. It does "kinda" look like it's not lowered.
            Inactive from May 1 2009.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, if the aircraft had low wieght the center boggie was not always extended to save on wear and tear.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MaxPower
                Hmm It's very hard to tell, but I guess you are right. It does "kinda" look like it's not lowered.
                No both these photos have the center main gear in use. I have the photos here at home some were

                Soren
                Regards
                Soren Madsen

                Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CPH Aviation
                  No both these photos have the center main gear in use. I have the photos here at home some were

                  Soren
                  Hahaha. Argh Shoot. You could have told me that from the start.

                  I thought it was those two photos you were referring to. My bad.

                  Do you have time to scan those shots, you're talking about. ?

                  ^^Although it's nothing fancy, it would only look like a DC10-10 anyway...
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MaxPower
                    Do you have time to scan those shots, you're talking about. ?
                    Not at the moment! I'll have to look through 19.000 prints and I don't have time for the right now

                    Soren
                    Regards
                    Soren Madsen

                    Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X