Airline rank markings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline rank markings...

Can anyone tell me the difference between 2 & 3 Bars on rank markings ?
    I understand that it is airline specific, but that'll be all I know about it.

And in the old days when Old generation acfts had engineers onboard, what marking did they had on their shoulder/arm ?
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

2 bars is either a flight engineer or 2nd officer. 3 bars is a f/o, and 4 bars is a captain. At lest at most airlines. As you mentioned, its airline specific, but for the most part what I mentnioned holds true. Except for gulfstream, where first officers suck in general because they bought their jobs...but that's a whole different story that I'll get into later.

Comment

Ah yes, the mark of the airline pilot/senior wannabe .... The ability to snipe and bitch about someone behind their backs anonymously on a totally unrelated thread. Classy EMU, classy.

MaxPower... as you suggest, it really does depend on the airline.

Some flight engineers will have a different bar in there... maybe a thin one, maybe a different colour one.. or maybe not.

4 stripes seems to usually be a Captain, and the stripes down from that will indicate progressive ranks below it. But, remember, a flying school may have someone with 3 or 4 bars, doesn't mean they are an airline captain, just senior in their company. So really, it just works as a rank in organisation system.

You can usually assume someone with a very very shiny single gold bar is probably fairly new in the company

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Charlie Mike and Emu...

I read now somewhere that the Flight engineer is still denoted with either 2-3 bars and it stays like that. I understand from other forums that there's some certain seniority/qualification for specific airliners to it too (Example: You could be a captain on a Dash8, upgrading to A320 downgrades you to a 2nd officer or was it to Senior F/O) Can you correct that, Charlie Mike ?

Comment

Totally depends on the airline I'm afraid!

Some airlines might have a system whereby you progress through the ranks like that, I'm not sure. Can't really help with the Captain to S/O thing, but its certainly possible depending on how its structured.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
            Totally depends on the airline I'm afraid!

Some airlines might have a system whereby you progress through the ranks like that, I'm not sure. Can't really help with the Captain to S/O thing, but its certainly possible depending on how its structured.
            Thanks for your replies, Charlie Mike. Really appreciated !

Edit:

Content removed.

---
            MP
            Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-12-26, 22:16.

Comment

Yes, all of that is right, but also Flight Attendants may have 1 stripe at the airlines.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

^^I believe that's correct. But those attendants are Cabin Chief attendants only ?

If only I could find some old photos of mine, I had once a photo of me and a SK cabin chief (Purser?) in the Business class after landing in HKG. I believe he had some sort of a stripe. Great observation Chasen, I totally forgot the cabin crew on that list

Comment

At my airline it is as follows:

4 bars - Captain.
                  3 Bars - Senior First Officer or Relief Command Qualified First Officer
                  2.5 Bars - First Officer
                  2 Bars - Junior First Officer
                  1 Bar - Second Officer (Who is a relief pilot on long haul flights and NOT a Flight Engineer. Our airline employes professional, career Flight Engineers)

Cabin crew have no stripes.

As for promotions, our airline pays by rank only. There is no distinction between what aircraft type you fly and we only fly widebodies. Therefore when you get promoted, there is no 'downgrade' to a different aircraft type as no aircraft type is seen as inferior. The only thing is that the freighter pilots are on a different pay scale and therefore if a passenger pilot takes a promotion ahead of his or her turn then the only way to do it is to volunteer for a pay cut and a transfer to the freighter fleet.

Different airlines do things differently and you must bear that in mind when reading replies on forums, especially when the forum member might make their answer sound like it is the only answer and how he/she writes it is how it always is.
                  Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Air Canada has 3 types of pilots;

a) Captain - 4 stripes

b) First Officer - 3 stripes

c) Cruise Relief Pilot - 3 stripes (F/O's)

Comment

Working...
                    X