X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 747-300 vs 400

Hello,
    Sorry if this has been asked before...

Whats the difference between the 300 and 400 ? I know the 400 has winglets,is that the only change or is the seating arrangement a little different ? I would just like to know as last year i was on a 747-300 and this year im going with the same people again *Travel City Direct* and there is word that they may be upgrading to 747-400.

Thankyou for your time,

Ben.

Originally posted by benyeomans
    Hello,

Whats the difference between the 300 and 400 ? I know the 400 has winglets,is that the only change or is the seating arrangement a little different ? I would just like to know as last year i was on a 747-300 and this year im going with the same people again *Travel City Direct* and there is word that they may be upgrading to 747-400.

Thankyou for your time,

Ben.
    From the other side, The Blue Site.
    http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=100
    The 747-400 externally resembles the -300, but it is a significantly improved aircraft. Changes include a new, two crew digital flightdeck with six large CRT displays, an increased span wing with winglets (the -400 was the first airliner to introduce winglets), new engines, recontoured wing/fuselage fairing, a new interior, lower basic but increased max takeoff weights, and greater range.

From Wikipedia.org
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747
    The 747-400 is the latest model of the 747 and the only series still in production. It is offered in several versions.
    It added 6 ft (1.8 m) wing tip extensions and 6 ft (1.8 m) winglets, tail fuel tanks, revised engines, an all-new interior, and an all-new glass cockpit which dispensed with the need for a flight engineer.

If there's anything you would like to know about the 747, Go ahead and Contact Colin Parker - He's a pilot for CX, operating 777 and 747.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Thankyou for the reply,thats what i wanted to know.

Ben,

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by benyeomans
        Hello,

Thankyou for your time,

Ben.
        Seating arrangement is essentially the same in all 747's these days with the 10-across 3-4-3 config in economy and 2-3-2 in most business classes. The 744 has more powerful engines than the -300 variant and a greater wingspan (although it isn't that apparent to the naked eye).

Comment

From what i gather ( I could be wrong)

The 300 is a 200 with a stretched upper deck and some other small improbements. The 400 is a totally revised model.

Comment

Re:

^Well, not totally revised, it keeps the same fuselage as the -300, except it is longer. Only major differences are the winglets, the electronic EFIS 2-crew flight deck and more powerful engines.

Comment

The simple way to spot one is to look at the stretched upperdeck. The aircraft will look similar to a 742, not so much a 744.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

^^Depends if the -200 would have a SUD.

Can be tricky though, I once got tricked by the Former Varig 747, thought it was a -400"D", no winglets.(I have to tell you it was many years ago) It turned out to be a -300 with CF6-80's., Dont know the specific engine type.

Example:
                [photoid=21475]

Comment

Still, the upperdeck is stretched out further than that of a 744. Unless the 744D has a stretched deck as well, but I realitively sure that it doesn't. And also, doesn't the 744D just fly within Japan?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                    Still, the upperdeck is stretched out further than that of a 744. Unless the 744D has a stretched deck as well, but I realitively sure that it doesn't. And also, doesn't the 744D just fly within Japan?
                    ^^That correct. The -400D WAS and only meant for the japanese market.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                      ^^That correct. The -400D WAS and only meant for the japanese market.
                      Ya, I really can't think of any other domestic market where they would need a -400D.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just to complicate things, before the end of the 747-300 production, Boeing started to introduce what some people nicknamed the 747-350. This plane introduced some changes which would be a production standard on the 747-400 such as some of the internal systems. The best way to tell were the engines (for some types) or the wing/body fairing. The smooth blended fairing of the 744 was introduced on these '747-350s'. Cathay operated one of these VR-HON, our newest 747-300 which was the odd one out because of these changes.
                        Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

The "350" also relocated the distinctive Classic wingtip HF aerials to the vertical fin leaving the 'blunt' wingtips.

Comment

Working...
                          X