More CRJ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More CRJ questions

Here I go again with technical questions regarding the ever-fascinating CRJ. Specifically the -100/200 variants. I've noticed of all the times I've flown in it, that the CRJ wil not bounce after a hard landing like other airliners do (by that I mean when the main gear hits the runway, and goes airborne for a few seconds before settling down on to the runway again). Is this because it has a different type of shock absorber on the main gear? Or is it just the way the aircraft lands most of the time, that even if it lands hard it is not hard enough to where the shock absorbers will cause the main gear to lift off the ground again? Sorry if I put this in a confusing manner.

Also, what exactly causes the nose-down pitch on final whe full flaps are selected? At first I thought it was because it doesn't have the leading edge slats, but then after flying in the -700 I know that's not the case.

Originally posted by Foxtrot
    Also, what exactly causes the nose-down pitch on final whe full flaps are selected? At first I thought it was because it doesn't have the leading edge slats, but then after flying in the -700 I know that's not the case.
    This IS the case. The CRJ700 does have leading edge slats and the 200 does not.

Comment

Re:

^I didn't phrase that correctly. What I meant was I know the -700 has leading edge slats, but it still approached with a nose-down attitude, so I know that the abscence of leading edge slats is not why the ose-down attitude occurs with the -100/200 variants.

Comment

I would say the landings has to do with a combination of the trailing link landing gear and ground spoilers that deploy on touchdown that kill the lift as soon as there is weight on the wheels. Bouncing is mostly caused by the wings still creating lift.

I DO believe the approach attitude does actually have to do with the fact that there are no leading edge flaps. Leading edge flaps allow an airplane to stall at a higher angle of attack (approach at a lower airspeed). But because the CRJ100/200 does not have leading edge flaps it needs to approach at a higher airspeed and lower angle of attack.

Comment

Trailing link gear keeps the airplane from bouncing as much as something without the trailing link.

The nose down pitch is definately from the lack of leading edge devices on the 200.

The 700/900, while pitch down a little, is nowhere near as significant as with the 200. Also, it is quite common for aircraft to be flown above Vref on an approach due to ATC request. You'll notice the pitch attitude increase on those aircraft as the airplane slows nearing the ground. All perfectly safe and legal as long as the approach is stable (on speed, configured, on glideslope, engines spooled) by 500 AGL in VMC, and 1000 in IMC, or GS intercept.

Also, approach speeds are faster in the 200 than 700 or 900 further contributing to the approach attitude.
          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Re:

Hey, thanks for the replies guys .

Comment

Working...
            X