Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being a Commercial Pilot, from beginning to end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a Commercial Pilot, from beginning to end.

Ok,
    I, as I am sure many others on here, have thought about being a professional pilot, but have no or a very vague idea of how to obtain this goal. As several among us are commercial pilots, it would be nice to see the outlined steps that they have taken, and to see the difference in paths. If you could, maybe start with graduation from high school, and lead us step by step up to the present.
    Cheers,
    A.M.

Great idea. While I'm not flying for an airline yet, I'll go ahead and get it started.

I graduated high school in 2001. I had always wanted to be a pilot for as long as I could remember so there was one logical choice for what I should study in school. I started at a small school in northern Minnesota. It had an aviation program sponsored by the University of North Dakota. I picked this school because I wanted to play hockey while I was in college. I began my private pilot training there but did not quite finish in that first semester. Living overseas for all of high school, I did not have an opportunity to come back and look at schools I wanted to attend. After about 2 weeks at this school, I knew that I would only be there for one semester. It was cold, it was tiny, it was in the middle of nowhere, and there was absolutely nothing to do there.

After that semester had ended, I didn't really know where I wanted to go, so I went home to live with the parents for a semester and a summer. I knew for a fact that I did not want to return to that area of the world (north central plains) but other than that I wasn't sure what I should do. My parents had heard that the University of North Dakota had a very good reputation for flight training and they used the power of financial persuasion to talk me into going there.

I began there in the fall of 2002. Here's where 0my first piece of advice shows up. Finish your private pilot training in one place. Even though the training at my old school was run by UND, when I showed up they weren't entirely sure how to let me start training. Thankfully after 2 semester of thought (yes, it took that long) they decided to let me pick up my training right where I had left off. Now other than a bit of flying I did with the flying club out on the air base in Japan where my parents lived, I hadn't flown in about a year. Thankfully I had a good instructor and things came back pretty quickly, but by this time it was already the summer of 2003.

The rest of school seemed to go by pretty quickly, even if it took me longer than 4 years to finish due to the above mentioned delayed. UND's aviation course has you start with your private training, then advancing to instrument training, single engine commercial, multi engine commercial, flight instructor, instrument flight instructor, and Canadair Regional Jet familiarization course. You also take other aviation related courses in human factors, aircraft systems, and a bunch of general education courses aimed at making you a well rounded person.

I finally graduated from UND in December of 2006 and set out on the next step. Although I already had my commercial certificate, multi engine, and instrument ratings, the next step isn't to move on to an airline.

Don't fall for all the glossy advertising in flying magazines that certain schools will make you an airline pilot by 250 hours. While it is possible, it isn't in any way common practice and its really not the way to go. You need to build hours, and more importantly, experience before you are ready to fly for an airline. There are a few jobs available to help build experience, the most common is flight instruction.

I must say that when I first started working towards my flight instructor certificates, I looked at it as something I didn't want to do, but had to in order to graduate. During my flight instructor training, I volunteered at a tutoring lab as extra credit for my ground school. The first time you help someone understand something is incredible. You see them get this look in their eye like "oh...now I get it!" and it really gives you a good feeling of accomplishment. I enjoy working with people and talking to them, so suddenly becoming a flight instructor seemed like something I would enjoy. Still not something I would want to do for the rest of my life, but it is still a lot of fun.

I finished school and moved out to Maryland. I began working for a school with two bases, one at Tipton Airport (KFME) and one at Bay Bridge Airport (W29). After a few weeks they closed down the Bay Bridge location and moved everyone to Tipton. This, and a few other issues made me think that it was time to seek work elsewhere.

When I originally was seeking work, a jetphotos member helped me get in contact with his current employer which was a flight school at BWI. I once again contacted them to see if they were still seeking flight instructors. Thankfully they were and after two months at my old location I now work at www.proflighttraining.com as a flight instructor.

For once in my life I can say that I absolutely love my job, and the main reason I have it was because of a good contact I made through this website (and another).

These past few years have been extremely busy for me but I have learned a lot about aviation and myself. I have learned that if you aren't happy with where you are, change it. While I loved my schooling in North Dakota, I really did not like the area and was overall a pretty unhappy person (hence the huge amount of time I spent on jetphotos.net ) After graduation I decided that never again in my life would I let myself linger in a place or situation in which I wasn't happy. In most situations, unhappy situations can be changed if you work hard enough. For me all it took was contacting a friend of mine and switching to a different company.

I can't stress enough that going to a large aviation university is only ONE of the many ways to become a professional pilot. The important thing is to enjoy the ride, get a 4 year degree, and take the time to do it right. Also, dont burn any bridges. You never know who can help you make the next step in the aviation world. Treat everybody with respect because if you play your cards right THEY could be the person to help land you your dream job.

Comment

Maybe you all can help me with my plan of attack for becoming a profesional pilot. My ultimate dream is to become a test pilot for Boeing (as I mentioned in a previous thread).

Right now, I am a Sophomore in High School. Hopefully I'll begin flight training soon and earn my PPL by the time I graduate. I then plan on going to a major university and getting a four year degree in Mechanical and/or Aerospace engineering, and maybe a business degree just in case. Meanwhile, I'll continue my training and hopefully become a Commercial pilot and/or CFI.

Then I want to go for my Masters in Aerospace Engineering (to help bolster my resume since Test Pilot jobs are hard to get), most likely at Embry-Riddle or someplace simialar. During this time, I either want to instruct or fly for a Part 135 carrier.

I then want to go fly for a regional to build jet and PIC time. Hopefully this will happen as soon as possible. Horizon looks like a good option for a number of reasons (obviously things will change, but the relatively good pay and probability of being based in Boeing country will be a good thing).

Hopefully by age 30 I'll move on to bigger and better things. From here, I am thinking of two options. Option a, I go fly for a major airline or Freighter, build time in large aircraft, and hopefully make my way over to Boeing. Or, option B, I try to get a job as a test pilot for a small aircraft company (hopefully VLJ-i.e. Hondajet, Eclipse). Which do you think would make me a more attractive candidate for Boeing?

Also, do you think it is possible to progress from an engineering position to a Test Pilot job at Boeing?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
        Maybe you all can help me with my plan of attack for becoming a profesional pilot. My ultimate dream is to become a test pilot for Boeing (as I mentioned in a previous thread).

Right now, I am a Sophomore in High School. Hopefully I'll begin flight training soon and earn my PPL by the time I graduate. I then plan on going to a major university and getting a four year degree in Mechanical and/or Aerospace engineering, and maybe a business degree just in case. Meanwhile, I'll continue my training and hopefully become a Commercial pilot and/or CFI.

Then I want to go for my Masters in Aerospace Engineering (to help bolster my resume since Test Pilot jobs are hard to get), most likely at Embry-Riddle or someplace simialar. During this time, I either want to instruct or fly for a Part 135 carrier.

I then want to go fly for a regional to build jet and PIC time. Hopefully this will happen as soon as possible. Horizon looks like a good option for a number of reasons (obviously things will change, but the relatively good pay and probability of being based in Boeing country will be a good thing).

Hopefully by age 30 I'll move on to bigger and better things. From here, I am thinking of two options. Option a, I go fly for a major airline or Freighter, build time in large aircraft, and hopefully make my way over to Boeing. Or, option B, I try to get a job as a test pilot for a small aircraft company (hopefully VLJ-i.e. Hondajet, Eclipse). Which do you think would make me a more attractive candidate for Boeing?

Also, do you think it is possible to progress from an engineering position to a Test Pilot job at Boeing?

Thanks in advance.
        Sounds like a sound plan. The only advice I can give you is to work as hard as you can to make your goals happen, but make every step you take be one that you would be ok doing for the rest of your life. If you go about it this way, if your goal doesn't work out, you'll at least be happy where you are. If you look at aviation jobs in general, there is a lot of complaining that goes on. I think the main reason for this is that people are too focused on getting to that next step that they take jobs that aren't all that great as a means to an end. If that next step doesn't work out, they're stuck at a job they don't like and start to complain. In short, work as hard as you can, but have an easily accessible backup plan and be flexible. You see especially with regionals, one year a certain company is a fantastic place to work (mesaba) and the next it files for a BS bankruptcy and suddenly its not such a good place to be anymore. Just keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
          Sounds like a sound plan. The only advice I can give you is to work as hard as you can to make your goals happen, but make every step you take be one that you would be ok doing for the rest of your life. If you go about it this way, if your goal doesn't work out, you'll at least be happy where you are. If you look at aviation jobs in general, there is a lot of complaining that goes on. I think the main reason for this is that people are too focused on getting to that next step that they take jobs that aren't all that great as a means to an end. If that next step doesn't work out, they're stuck at a job they don't like and start to complain. In short, work as hard as you can, but have an easily accessible backup plan and be flexible. You see especially with regionals, one year a certain company is a fantastic place to work (mesaba) and the next it files for a BS bankruptcy and suddenly its not such a good place to be anymore. Just keep that in mind.
          Good advice. My backup plan, if all else fails, is to get a job as a ground based engineer.

Comment

Thanks for your very detailed responce, Joe.
            Since I'm a freshman, and basically already 1/4 of the way through high school, it's time that I start thinking about where I want to go to college and what for. Is it nessicary to have an aviation major to fly for an airline? My plans (as they stand this week ) are something like this:
            1. Begin training for PPL (June 2007)
            2. Get PPL (Sometime 2008 )

And that's all I have so far
            Seriously though, here in Florida we have a state funded scholarship program that basically says that " If you make the grades and do some volunteer work, we will pay your way through any state funded school that you can get accepted to." So, I'll probably make use of that and go to UF (for undergrad at least), and then (if my plans are still to persue aviation) I will go from there. I sincerely doubt that I will major in aviation, so that I could have something to fall back upon, and dependant upon how things go over the next two to three years, I will probably major in one of the sciences (probably chemistry or physics) minor in business or Music. So, after that, what steps should I take? By the time I graduate from college, I also plan to have my instrument, commercial, and ATP ratings (still kinda unclear on the whole rating system, hope I didn't just make an ass of myself ), in case that would affect my next step.
            Thanks,
            A.M.

Comment

Heres my story and future:

I started flying when I was 14 years old out of Providence, PVD, a Class C airport. This was my first BIG plus to my flight training since now I'm REALLY good on the radios. But anyways, about a year later, I didn't feel like I was getting any place since I have down in my logbook that for about 5 flights straight all I did was stalls, steep turns, etc. I was flying a 150/152 at that time and started hating it. My instructor wasn't great either. When I was 15, I switched flight schools to the one next door and started flying the 172R and ended up meeting a buddy of mine who used to do the ramp there. We're still good friends. I flew that with my 2nd instructor for a while. Eventually, just before my 16th birthday ironically enough, my instructor was hired by Trans States flying E145s...wonderful. I got onto instructor #3. He wasn't bad. I ended up soloing the 172R with him and was doing TGs on a 3000ft runway just outside of the Providence airspace. However, once I wanted to get my night flight out of the way, he cancelled the flight about 4 times. He ended up moving to Texas and we never got it done. By that time, my friend wasn't really working at the school anymore and I didn't know any of the instructors there and the owner was a pain in the butt so I switched...AGAIN.

I started flying the 172R/SP (the SP is hot ) out of Mansfield, 1B9, an uncontrolled field about 30 minutes from my house in another state. I had a pretty good instructor who was building time, but was still a good teacher at the same time. It was like starting over going up there. They didn't know me and I was still lazy and not studying and whatnot. Eventually I kicked myself in the butt and went all out. From about June to September of 2006, I was ballin' haha. I was flying as much as possible and just wanted to get my private so bad. I ended up doing my written totally out of the blue after studying for about 2 weeks straight and memorized about 80% of the answers haha. I ended up with a 92% or something like that on it. I was REALLY happy. I ended up taking my night flight with a difference CFI, but he was still really cool. I went up with him on another flight before also and he basically taught me how to land an airplane perfectly. I'll never forget that lesson. Anyways, after the night, it was basically finishing up requirements for the private (instrument time basically) and getting me ready. On September 27, 2006, I walked out of the FBO with my ticket in my hand (and a nice shirt and tie on too....the DE knew I was all set when she saw that she said haha. Remember, you can't overdress.) I don't even remember the drive home I was so psyched. I was probably blasting music though. I remember going out to dinner with the mom after though.

After that I flew out of there for a bit and didn't know what I was going to do. I had a whole year to go before I started college (and I'm STILL in that year haha...it's taking forever). So eventually I went back to PVD to fly the Diamond DA40 after a few flights in the 172 up at Mansfield. Its just a pain to drive there though. The Diamond basically turned from my "fun" plane to my "all the friggin time" plane now since the FBO guy was being an a-hole not letting me rent the 172 anymore since I hadn't flown it in 45 days....some stupid rule the FBO has....which is ironic because I've got 80hrs in 172s and about 5 in the Diamond...but they let me take the Diamond...what a pain....

But anyways, I was actually thinking about flying an Arrow, but I dont' see the point...here's why:

Summer's approaching. I've got my private. I just broke 100hrs. I'm doing my Private-Multi training. I got accepted to Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach and will be going there in the Fall of this year. Honestly, I can't wait. I spoke to a guy down there and he said that all of my ratings would transfer over. That means that when I get my Private-Multi, I can go right into the Multi-Instrument and Multi-Commercial down there, which is great. More news is that Riddle is getting Twin Stars....but honestly, I kind of want to learn in a Seminole so I don't get spoiled. That G1000 is already spoiling me on the DA40 now.

I work at the airport now. I worked for Cape Air last year from July until October when they closed. After October I worked for Delta and Spirit loading bags and doing ramp stuff on these planes: CRJ200, CRJ700, E135/45, Dash 8, MD88, A319, A321, 757, 767-300/400. I'm a certified brakerider on the MD88 which means I can turn on the APU, hydraulics, radios, etc. However I'll be going back to Cape Air and playing with 402s May 4th when we start up again. I learned so much at both jobs about the airline industry. Just this week I spoke to 3 Riddle pilots who flew into PVD. 2 on the CRJ700 and 1 on the Dash 8. The one I met today on the 700 was 23 years old and worked for ASA for almost 1 year so far.

In college I'm planning on MAYBE doing summer courses. But I'm definitely hoping to get 2 internships out of the way, one for a regional, and one for a mainline. The mainline is definitely the one to go for since that may very well be where you will be working for the rest of your life. But the regional one (probably ASA if the industry stays the way it is) will benefit you at the beginning). Right now the regionals are hiring like CRAZY. I heard ASA took a Riddle kid who had all of his ratings, no CFIs, just over 200hrs, and only 21hrs multi-time. That's absolutely nuts, but he did the internship...

I'm looking forward to going to college. I'm hoping to fly a lot and buzz through my ratings.

Honestly, Joe, I've got the same mindset as you. I think of CFIing as a chore rather than something I want to do. All I hear of is 8hr orals and some crazy stuff like that. Half the CFIs don't even like their jobs and they're getting paid almost nothing. That's what turns that idea off for me. I might instruct at Riddle though. I'll have to see how it is. I'm hoping that I can get out of college and get a job right away. That's my goal. And yes, the northern plains SUCK haha. That's why I'm not going to UND...plus it's too cold for me. But anyways yeah, I've got my future in order and I'm looking forward to it.

Private-Multi with a real cool CFI this summer in a beat up 1966 Twin Comanche that actually went around the world at one time will be fun.

This message was WAY too long...dang.....Hope it helped though!

-Steve

Comment

Yeah I was going to do an aviation major, but I decided against it in favor of something (cheaper) and to fall back on. I've done my research, had some conversations, etc and as of right now decided that I would like to attend law school in addition to flying professionally, some major airline pilots have another professional business/practice on the side. One I know runs an independent publishing business, another is also a lawyer. I've even heard of pro pilot/MDs and pro pilot/dentists.

one website you might want to check out is www.jetcareers.com. Read some of the articles posted there and then sign up for the forums, an excellent combination of professionals, student pilots, and a thriving online community.

Comment

Alright now I've read about the National Test Pilot School...needless to say my plans have changed. They say you need 750 PIC time. Should I build that instructing or on my own? Should I take a leave of absense once I get to a regional to take the course (Its a year long)? Should I get my masters in Aerospace engineering as well?

Comment

I'm not sure that when you are at a regional they will want to leave for a year.. Especially if you have just come off of reserve, why would you want to leave? Would you be able to afford to take a year off and pay for this school? As for the Master, it will only help you in the long run..

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                      Alright now I've read about the National Test Pilot School...needless to say my plans have changed. They say you need 750 PIC time. Should I build that instructing or on my own? Should I take a leave of absense once I get to a regional to take the course (Its a year long)? Should I get my masters in Aerospace engineering as well?
                      It seems to me that test piloting is more about the educational and technical knowledge then the flying. Basically you are a flying engineer. I think education is the best focus versus flight time for a test pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by scramjet
                        It seems to me that test piloting is more about the educational and technical knowledge then the flying. Basically you are a flying engineer. I think education is the best focus versus flight time for a test pilot.
                        You're only half right. You do need an extremely solid technical background, but as I'm sure you're aware, not all planes are designed correctly the first time. You'll need to be able to figure out what is happening, why its happening, and you need to come up with a reasonable suggestion on how to fix it. From what I know about test piloting, 750 hours is not nearly enough experience (experience is what counts, not hours) to really be a good test pilot.

Comment

Working...
                        X