Question for all pilots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for all pilots.

So here is the deal I am writting a paper about curbing Runway Incursions for the FAA Design Challenge for University Students. One of my plans is to institute a new plan that would involve colored taxi routes. Instead of being told taxi to the active via charlie, bravo, etc.... you sould simply hear taxi to the active via the blue route. I have attached a picture for you to see more what I mean. It is a picture of KCHA... Chattanooga Lovell Field.

So Here are some questions if you would like to answer.
    Would you be wiling to ajust to this program?

For you commercial pilots.. Do you think it would help you guys with taxi just simply because it is simpler in terms of balancing cockpit work with ground navigation?

Thanks for your comments.

Ok the photo is not working so I just uploaded a copy of it.

O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Well, similar systems to that do exist, in the sense that places like LA can tell you to "Taxi via the North Route" (they have North, South, East, and West routes).

Some places also have standard taxi routes that show you the standard way of taxiing from your terminal to the runway and vice versa, depending on which runway is in use. (eg. BKK) "Taxi via the standard route"

Others have these in place for taxiing in Low Vis conditions (most of Europe).

As to colour use, Hong Kong use colours for different push back directions, eg Push Back Blue is an instruction to push tail in one direction, Red the other.

So as to adaption, I really don't think there would be a problem, as most pilots have been exposed to it before.

The problem as I see it, is although these are in place, they are rarely used. Why? Well, that I can't answer. I will say, however, that they leave little flexibility required in the busy airport environment. They are very good in low vis conditions, as you can plan your exit/taxiway, and you know where other aircraft might be.

From an operational point of view, it means having at least one pilot "head down" monitoring your taxi chart, while the other is steering the aircraft. Not significantly different from now.

Will it help prevent runway incursions? Maybe some reasearch into the airports with similar systems and their success would be interesting.

I personally think that creating airport designs with less confusing taxiways and more obvious markings is the way to go however. The new occulting yellow runway guard lights are a great invention which I think will make a big difference, along with the markings along the taxiway centreline when you are approaching the runway.

Comment

That looks like a good idea. ALso, dont runway incursions occur a lot due to inexperienced pilots? This will surely help in that aspect.

Comment

what happens when you run out of colors?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
          what happens when you run out of colors?
          Tie-die

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
            Tie-die

Dude with all the different colors crayola has I doubt that will happen.
            O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

Excellent idea except for when it snows and all of your taxiways become white. The most promising technology for this issue is a GPS based system simular to the navigation units for automobiles (Tom Tom, Magellan Roadmate etc...). There examples already out there that will show a pilot their exact position on an airport. If the cost can be brought down to a reasonable level this will be the best solution.
              My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Comment

Originally posted by flyingbosshog
                You know I was joking, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                  You know I was joking, right?
                  I know....

Comment

Well that would be a lot of different colors in world's biggest airports such as LHR, CDG or FRA. LOL good luck with it although I would stay with the old naming.

Comment

I know. I am trying to impliment this here in the US with other programs such as AMASS and ADS-B.

Comment

Similar systems are in place when the lights are lit, at some airports an aircraft may be told to "Follow the green lights" or something of the sort. But yours is a good idea so long as there is an alternitive when snow is on the ground.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by flyingbosshog
                          Now that I think about it, Red-Orange and Orange-Red may lead to some confusion

Comment

My opinion: bad idea.

A.M.Stecker
                            Color-blind person.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                              My opinion: bad idea.

A.M.Stecker
                              Color-blind person.
                              no one ever said you were going to be a pilot..... we have other plans for you...

why does that sound a lot shiftier now that I've said it then it did in my head?

Comment

Working...
                              X