No announcement yet.

Beeing a pilot in the European Union

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beeing a pilot in the European Union

    Hello everybody. First of all, this is my first topic here, so if it's been discussed, don't blame me!!!
    Ok, i'm 18 years old, learing Maths and Physic/Chemy in a preparatory school in France (Maths SUP, that's the right name, sort of "Elite" school of france). I'd like to become a pilot via exams like ENAC (French National School of Civilian Aviation), or the AF cadets. Since these schools are free, that's really hard to become a pilote using that way. So I don't know what to do. If i can't be a pilot, i could at least be an engineer, but i also try to become a pilot using my money to pass the licenses.
    I'm just back from Prague. I had a flight with KLM and i spoke with the captain. He told me ENAC was the hardest way to become an airline pilot. I allready knew this. But he told me to think about starting flying in a private flight school, in the US of in GB.
    I'd like to meet real world airline pilots of the European Union to talk about my future. If you know something, i'm interested. I'd really like to talk with a KLM pilot since this airline is really attractive to me.
    Thank you for reading!

  • #2
    I'm not an airline pilot, nor a pilot in the EU, but I may have at least a little bit of advice for you. General aviation is where you'll begin your training towards becoming a pilot. Unfortunately in Europe, General Aviation is extremely rare because of the "user fee" system put in place. In the US it costs about 6-9 thousand dollars to get your private license, but in the EU it is upwards of 15k.

    I have been reading a lot about the user fee situation lately because the FAA is pushing a similar system here in the US. Apparently one of the most popular ways to begin your flight training is to come to the US for most of it. There are a few schools out there (in florida I believe) that specialize in JAA licenses in addition to FAA ones. While I dont believe you can get a full fledged JAA license here in the US, these schools will certainly get as much of it done over here as possible.

    One of the main reasons this is advantageous is the ability to practice landings. In the EU the landing fees at most airports are absolutely rediculous, wheras most airports here in the US do not have any landing fees. This make it much easier to get practice in. The same goes for instrument approaches, class B airspace etc...for now anyway. Try looking on google for JAA training in the US and you should be able to come up wit something. If not I know I've seen a few ads for them in some aviation magazines.


    • #3
      Ok Thank you for all your advices. But i already have new questions. Is it worth it, if i can't enter ENAC or Cadets Air France, to stop my studies and start the training in the USA? And if i decide to start the training, is it worth to come in the US, where the training is less expensive, or should I have to make the training in France. Even if it's more expensive, i can stay at parent's home...If i come to the US, where will I stay? If that's in Florida, i think that will be $$$$ + air fares between Toulouse and USA, at least 400 Toulouse-NYC..


      • #4
        You probably can get housing in Florida, as with anywhere, cheaply. Some flight schools even provide housing. You are probably used to seeing footage of the wealthy areas of Miami, etc.


        • #5
          There are quite a few schools in the US that provide temporary housing while in training. Unfortunately I don't have answers as to what is best/cheapest as there are quite a few variables. The best I can recommend is to work as hard as you can to get the ENAC or AF Cadets option to work, but if that doesn't work out look at the overseas training option. Again, I can't decide what is best for you, just laying out some options.

          Here are a few schools that do JAA training in the US