Model Variant Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Variant Numbers

Whats the significance if airlines using random model variant numbers? What I mean is, Boeing used to start their models at the -100 level such as the 737-100 and 747-100, 200 etc. Now Boeing as well as Airbus starts their new models with -800 or whatever even when there has been no others of that type (787 or A380, A350) produced. Why do they do this? Are they saving the low numbers to possibly make a SMALLER variant later on? Perhaps the 787-100 will become the 737RS?

EDIT: didn't mean to put this in the briefing forum. Mods can you move it to the main page?
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

I think the reason for the -8 is that in Asia, 8 is a lucky number. Considering how important Asia is to the Longhaul market, using their lucky number was a no brainer (787-8,747-8, A380-800). I kind of like the sequential numbering. Now Boeing and Airbus are going into four digits with the A350-1000 and potentially the 787-10, which will result in the 787-1024, etc.

Comment

Marketing gets involved.

8 is a lucky number in many Asian cultures so that's a starting point. Airbus reckons the 8s in A380-800 represent the two levels of the aircraft, and now that the rivalry is well and truly on nobody wants the lowest number on their aircraft!

Their final argument seems to be the potential 'downsize', if you decide to shrink the aircraft you can select a lower number. This started with the Boeing 757 and 767 where the first series was the -200, allowing for an SP style -100 later on which never happened.

Comment

Funny that a carrier might select a aircraft based on a lucky number, rather than it's merit.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

It's not how they select the aircraft, it is how it is marketed to attract passengers.

Remember before the manufacturers came to the party airlines did it themselves with titles like '767 Luxury Liner', '747 Spaceship', 'A320 Skystar' and even removing DC-10 markings from aircraft due to bad press!

Comment

Working...
          X