Why are the Spoilers deployed? *PICS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are the Spoilers deployed? *PICS*

Just caught this plane taking off, didn't notice until i zoomed in that the Spoilers were deployed...

***My Blog***

Interesting pic! Maybe they were trying to bleed off some speed after a fast takeoff? Beats me as to why they're really deployed.

2006 Honda Insight Hybrid 1.0L/1991 Honda Civic Si 1.6L/1991 Honda CRX Si 1.6L

Comment

Originally posted by TransWorld727
      Interesting pic! Maybe they were trying to bleed off some speed after a fast takeoff?
      I doubt it...usually to bleed off speed in a fast t/o, they'd just increase rate of climb.
      Reminds me of the time where a DL 767 was at the gate, cold, with the spoilers deployed. I though, "I think you've slowed down enough to stow the speedbrakes, cap'n."

Comment

Hi guys. The 767 has a few traps just after takeoff that can lead to the speed coming close to or exceeding flap limit speeds.

After thrust is set for takeoff the autothrottle mode transitions from N1/EPR to THR HOLD which will not move the thrust levers. If the aircraft is required to be levelled off at a low level the thrust mode can still be set to to takeoff thrust! Upon capture of the altitude the thrust will not retard and so the aircraft quickly accelerates. It is not uncommon when caught in this situation for the speedbrakes to be raised to prevent a flap limit speed exceedance. Idle thrust will not necessarily keep the speed below Vfe!

Just a possibility.

Comment

I see this ALOT when I fly on the WN 737-300's.

We would take off and immediatly spoilers or maybe speed brakes? whatever the flaps on top of the wing do ....

Anyhow I see this quite often mostly on -300, rarely on -700's

It was odd for me at first but the more I saw it, the more I got used to it.

Alex
          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Yeah i'm guessing that they were deployed to bleed off some speed, unless if the pilots forgot to retract them hahaha.
            ***My Blog***

Comment

ROFL theyr Polish so that explains everything...too much partying for them the night before. J/k
              Where did you catch that bird ??
              Last edited by Guest; 2007-06-25, 23:01.

Comment

On my way back from Six Flags, stopping to program the GPS at Edison / Iselin, NJ area and caught the bird it was fairly low so i decided to take a pic.
                ***My Blog***

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                  After thrust is set for takeoff the autothrottle mode transitions from N1/EPR to THR HOLD which will not move the thrust levers. If the aircraft is required to be levelled off at a low level the thrust mode can still be set to to takeoff thrust! Upon capture of the altitude the thrust will not retard and so the aircraft quickly accelerates. It is not uncommon when caught in this situation for the speedbrakes to be raised to prevent a flap limit speed exceedance....
                  So why not just increase vertical speed? Seems it would convert the energy that is otherwise wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                    So why not just increase vertical speed? Seems it would convert the energy that is otherwise wasted.
                    Because that would bust your altitude!

Comment

Yeah...guess this'll go unsolved :P
                      ***My Blog***

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                        Because that would bust your altitude!
                        Duh!
                        Sorry for my dense-iosity.

Comment

Working...
                        X