Multi-Crew License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Crew License

Anyone know what the deal is with these new Multi-Crew licenses?

This is assuming you are talking about the MPL thats being thrown around at the moment.

The theory is that you will do a majority of your training at a sim centre in something like a 737NG sim. With maybe only 20 hours or so in an actual aeroplane.

From there, you will progress straight into the airlines training for the right seat of a jet.

At the moment its just in the trial phase. ICAO have approved the concept, and Alteon are doing the training in Brisbane. The airlines and manufacturers love the concept as it is a possible solution for the impending pilot shortage. The first students are doing it at the moment I believe.

It seems like some of the cadet programs around, except the training is all in a multi crew environment in a simulator.

Again assuming this is what you are asking about!

Comment

Yes i was. So does this mean you skip the whole PPl in a 172, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
        Yes i was. So does this mean you skip the whole PPl in a 172, etc.?
        I'd assume: No way in hell.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

The intention is to do the absolute bare minimum of real flying, and do the rest in the simulator.

I don't have the info in front of me now and I'm running late for something, but its about 20 hours or so in an aeroplane, and the rest simulator.

I can't remember if that is enough to get you a PPL!

Note, this is all still a trial, and so that could be modified depending on the outcome of the courses!

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
            I'd assume: No way in hell.
            To be honest I'd kind of hope not.

Comment

A sim? Are you kidding me? I hate the damn sim. Granted I have never used any of the Level D full motion things... It is still a sim. Nothing is as good as the real thing.. That is like saying you've had sex with 10 girls, when really you used those fake "girls"... You know? My 1st flight instructor always told me "You can always relate sex back to flying"

Comment

Yeah, I got to fly a static IFR Twin Engine sim the other day, its just not the same when you can't feel it moving around. And it'll never handle the same as the real aircraft. Beats the hell out of a joystick anyday, but its by no means a replacement for real flying.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JSchraub
                  A sim? Are you kidding me? I hate the damn sim. Granted I have never used any of the Level D full motion things... It is still a sim. Nothing is as good as the real thing.. That is like saying you've had sex with 10 girls, when really you used those fake "girls"... You know? My 1st flight instructor always told me "You can always relate sex back to flying"
                  Of course you can:
                  "I have some dual, tons of solo, and I'd kill for some multi!"

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                    Of course you can:
                    "I have some dual, tons of solo, and I'd kill for some multi!"
                    LOL!

I can't belive my girlfriend actually brought that up, but its not happening Mr. Duncan. Go get your own "Three Holer".

As far as requirements for the PPL, I don't think 20 is enough. You need at least 20 with a CFI, 10 solo I think, and 10 hours at night I'm pretty sure.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      Yeah, I got to fly a static IFR Twin Engine sim the other day, its just not the same when you can't feel it moving around. And it'll never handle the same as the real aircraft. Beats the hell out of a joystick anyday, but its by no means a replacement for real flying.
                      I got to fly an FTD for the A320. There was no visual or motion. Needless to say I crashed onto runway 4 at JFK.

Comment

They are talking about full motion Cat D sims.

I can assure you they are rather realistic!!! The "lurching cave" has made more than one pilot airsick! (Poor new students who aren't exactly delicate and fine tuned with their handling!) They are good enough to give you an endorsement on the aeroplane, so for just generic training they are more than adequate at representing real life.

Without the "your life is on the line if you stuff up" part, which I guess is part of the argument against the MPL.

Granted nothing is quite as good as the real thing, but as far as it goes, they aren't bad.

Back to the analogy... this fake girl might not be the real thing, but it feels the same, she'll let you try anything you want, no matter how unsafe, and you won't be paying child support 9 months later .

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
                          Back to the analogy... this fake girl might not be the real thing, but it feels the same, she'll let you try anything you want, no matter how unsafe, and you won't be paying child support 9 months later .
                          Well put sir, well put.

In an airliner, I'm sure its great. But as far as the PPL phase, those real-life hours are invaluible in my opinion.
                          sigpic

Comment

Since I started working on getting my PPL I really started to like GA flying, and I think that if people just skip over that to get to flying airliners they would really be missing out. Today I went up and it was absolutly beautiful near BDL and BAF... I would never give up these experiences just to hurry up and get underpaid to fly an ERJ from Bumblefark to Pisstown. Plus all kinds of stuff happens in real life that can't be duplicated in a sim, a sim is only as good as what's programmed into it. And in the end, they would still have to build the same amount of hours as anyone else to get anyplace with an airline. The way I see it, with something like aviation everyone has to pay their dues before they get to being a captain on a 777, so you might as well relax and enjoy flying. If you really like flying, you wouldn't care so much what kind of plane it is, as much as the fact that you are up there doing what only a few people can.

Comment

Airbus A320,

I hear what you are saying, and I really did enjoy my PPL light aircraft training.

The catch is that at the end of the training the pilots in general aren't going to be flying ERJs to Bumblewhatever, they will be right seat 737, A330, 777 pilots for major airlines like China Eastern, and I'm sure that Vietnam Airlines and any other airline with cadet programs will get on board. I believe Lufthansa are already doing it, but Iäm not 100% on that one.

There isn't the hour building in Cessnas... this is straight from initial training to right seat jet for major airline.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X