Question about LSA's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about LSA's

Can a PPL log time in an LSA towards a rating (commercial for example). Would the airlines raise an eyebrow if they saw that a majority of your PIC time was in something like a Cessna 162 or similar plane?

I dont think they'd really care. As far as I know you can log time in a LSA towards a rating because its still a single engine land aircraft.

But I must say, I share an airport with a flight school that does only LSA training...holy crap does it suck sharing the pattern with them. We usually have at least 20 kts on them.

Comment

Like Joe said, seeing as a Cessna 162 and other LSAs are SEL and fixed-wing, I don't see why not. But remember, your commercial checkride itself must be done in a high preformance aircraft. If you get the bulk of your time in an LSA, then you try and pass a checkride in a 182...well...might not be the best idea.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

What the hell is a Cessna 162? LSA? Newfangled term I guess.

When I got my private, the heaviest thing I had flown was a 172. Stepping up aircraft size and performance comes as your flight training progresses. You'll have to do your commercial in a complex airplane, and at some point you'll want your high performance endorsement.

Multiengine training will be done with something that is complex as well.

Right now regionals could care less what you've been flying as long as you're commercial / multiengine / instrument at least. You also need to be current. Satisfy those two requirements and have a pulse, my airline will interview you tomorrow.

By the time you have the requirements to apply for a job at a major, you've got a few thousand hours of turbine time in an RJ or turboprop in your logbook. They won't give half a damn what you flew before you went to work at the airline.
        Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
          What the hell is a Cessna 162? LSA? Newfangled term I guess.

Cessna's brand new LSA. A Light Sport Aircraft (from Wikipedia):

The Federal Aviation Administration defines a light-sport aircraft as an aircraft with a maximum gross takeoff weight of less than 600 kilograms (1320 pounds) for aircraft designed to operate from land, 649 kilograms (1,430 pounds) for seaplanes, or 300 kilograms (660 pounds) for lighter-than-air craft; a maximum airspeed in level flight of 120 knots (222 km/h); a maximum stall speed of 45 knots (83 km/h); either one or two seats; fixed undercarriage and fixed-pitch or ground adjustable propeller; and a single reciprocating engine, which includes diesel engines and Wankel engines.

Comment

The Light Sport Catagory was basically made for just that, Sport Flying. Its less expensive and less time consuming than a PPL, and you can only carry 1 passanger, I belive. Its ideal for people who don't want a career or any fancy ratings, they just want to go fly around every now and then.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Gotcha. I remember about that light sport thing. Doesn't really seem worth it to me. Might as well fulfill the cross country requirement and go full the normal private certificate, and be able to haul some friends around to boot.

Didn't know about the 162 though.

Either way, a regional airline won't give a rats ass what you've been flying as long as you meet their minimums.
              Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Working...
              X