Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any commercial helicopter pilots out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any commercial helicopter pilots out there?

Im currently serriously considering starting to learn to fly helicopters, with the aim of getting my CPL(H) and eventually making a career out of it.

Its something Ive always wanted to do but I was always scared off by the cost. However Ive decided to bite the bullet and go for it, well maybe pending a bit more info.

Ive been out and spoken to a couple of training schools, and theyve both said similar stuff. Basicly there is work out there you just have to work hard to get it. They have said that places like Canada are in short supply of helicopter pilots and one also mentioned flying off the back of Asian fishing boats spotting fish. They said that pilots are getting hired around the 400 hour mark. I guess I have to take what the training schools are saying with a grain of salt though because at the end of the day they want my money.

However my friends who fly fixed wing are all poo pooing the idea, saying there is bugger all work for low hour helicopter pilots and I should follow them into the world of fixed wing aviation.

Im just wondering if there are any helicopter pilots out there who could give me an honest no bullshit apraisial of the realities of the industry at the moment in terms of job prospects, type of flying, locations, number of hours needed etc.

Im in NZ but am more than prepaired to travel to find work, even if it means living in some of the less desirable places on the planet.

Cheers, David

All I know is that they can be DAMN expensive to rent. Joe was telling me the cost per hour of UNDs choppers, all I can say is wow. I always figured they'd be cheaper than fixed wing aircraft.
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

On a related note, does anyone know if Helicopter and Fixed Wing flight time can be counted together? Like if you have 700 hours in fixed wing, and 300 hours in a chopper can you say that you are a 1000 total hour pilot, or would they both be separate?

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
        All I know is that they can be DAMN expensive to rent. Joe was telling me the cost per hour of UNDs choppers, all I can say is wow. I always figured they'd be cheaper than fixed wing aircraft.
        Haha yea I know that. Im looking at NZ$439 an hour for a Schweizer 300 CBi. But hey Its going on the interest free student loan so its all good..

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
        On a related note, does anyone know if Helicopter and Fixed Wing flight time can be counted together? Like if you have 700 hours in fixed wing, and 300 hours in a chopper can you say that you are a 1000 total hour pilot, or would they both be separate?
        Well here in NZ a certain % of fixed wing time can be counted towards helicopter time and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
          Eh, as far as airlines go, some allow choppers to count as part of your flight time, some as only a fraction, and some don't count them at all.
          sigpic
          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
            Eh, as far as airlines go, some allow choppers to count as part of your flight time, some as only a fraction, and some don't count them at all.
            I think the majority count fixed wing time only. It may make you look like a more well-rounded candidate, but for hours I don't think it will help you.

Comment

Interest free student loan?!?! Oh that's right, I'm in America...
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                Interest free student loan?!?! Oh that's right, I'm in America...
                Haha yea theyre about the only thing our facist labour government did that I actually like and the only reason they won the last election..

On a side note my medical finally arrived today so tomorrow I start flying

Comment

Working...
                X