DC-9 H-stab Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-9 H-stab Question

I was waiting to board NW1672 AUS-MSP on Monday, and saw that one side of the elevator goes up a little farther than the other. I was just wondering why it does that. I've seen it on a few of AA's MD-80s that I've paid attention to.

Great now you've got me searching through my photo library to see if I've seen it before. I have no idea why that is.

-Chris

Comment

They make all the fat people sit on one side of the plane so its like that to balance it out..

Actually have no idea..

Comment

Could it be a result of the prevailing winds? I saw a similar, although opposite, effect on several DC-9NGs on my recent ATL trip.

Comment

Seeing control surfaces at a gate really isn't going to give you a good idea. You'd need a pic of it like that during taxi to see really.

EG on an Airbus with Hydraulic systems depowered, the ailerons will both flop down... very disconcerting to a Boeing pilot!

On the tail on a 744, you can see half of the rudder pointing one way, and the other half pointing the other!

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
            Seeing control surfaces at a gate really isn't going to give you a good idea. You'd need a pic of it like that during taxi to see really.

EG on an Airbus with Hydraulic systems depowered, the ailerons will both flop down... very disconcerting to a Boeing pilot!

On the tail on a 744, you can see half of the rudder pointing one way, and the other half pointing the other!
            True. I took a look at the pictures of 717s/MDs taxiing around ATL, and I really couldn't tell anything, other than the fact that they are all upwards-trimmed for takeoff I presume.

Comment

Split elevator that uses tabs to move it(can't remember whether they're servo or anti-servo tabs). I believe the elevator itself is free floating.

The way it works is that the yoke is connected to the tabs rather than the elevator itself. Those tabs use aerodynamic force to move the elevator.
              Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Working...
              X