Planes with names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planes with names?

I've noticed from photos that planes have names. Is it like that with all planes?
    Or does the Airline decide?

Its the airline's call. Some airlines, like Jetblue, name all their aircraft. Others, like Southwest, name some. Others, like Continental, don't name any.

Comment

Southwest has several different forms of named planes.

Some are named for Company Founders or Board Members (Herbert D. Kelleher, Donald J. Ogden, Colleen Barrett, Lamar Muse, June Morris, Fred Jones, Rollin King, Jack Vidal)

Some are named for organizations (Spirit of Hope, Spread the LUV, Adopt-A-Pilot, Tuskegee Airmen)

Some are named for events (Spirit if Kitty Hawk, Silver One, Triple Crown)

Some are named for States (Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Maryland)

Some are named for endorsements (Sea World, Nolan Ryan Express, Slam Dunk One)
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
        Others, like Continental, don't name any.
        Continental has a 777 named Gordon Bethune
        You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

FedEx planes are named after employee's kids through a lottery. The first Falcon was named Wendy. I think that was Fred Smith's daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by ASpilot2be
            Continental has a 777 named Gordon Bethune
            I stand corrected. What a fitting tribute.

Comment

Horizon names some of their planes after cities they fly in to

they start with...

The Great City(ies) of...

Portland
              N.Bend/ Coos Bay
              Seattle/ Tacoma
              Vancouver
              ect.

Comment

I'm kind of curious now too, does KLM name all of their planes, or just the widebodies? Are only the 747's named after cities and the MD-11's named after people?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                  I'm kind of curious now too, does KLM name all of their planes, or just the widebodies? Are only the 747's named after cities and the MD-11's named after people?
                  It looks like all mainline aircraft are named.

Comment

Air Canada mainline never named their aircraft (well not in my 29 years).

Comment

Like Horizon Airlines, Jet2.com name their planes after destinations they fly to.

Comment

Do bmi Mritish Midland or Monarch Airlines name planes?

Comment

LOT Polish Airlines names only their long range aircrafts (Boeing 767-200 and Boeing 767-300). However two are still unnamed (SP-LPA because it's a Star Alliance bird and SP-LPC because that one is on a lease). The planes are named after Poland's biggest cities in Polish language (Warszawa, Gniezno, Katowice etc), and wear that city's coat of arms. Smaller planes and plnes from a sister-airline Centralwings are unnamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet2.com
                            Do bmi Mritish Midland or Monarch Airlines name planes?
                            Easy way to find out...just look at the pics in the database!

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                              LOT Polish Airlines names only their long range aircrafts (Boeing 767-200 and Boeing 767-300). However two are still unnamed (SP-LPA because it's a Star Alliance bird and SP-LPC because that one is on a lease). The planes are named after Poland's biggest cities in Polish language (Warszawa, Gniezno, Katowice etc), and wear that city's coat of arms. Smaller planes and plnes from a sister-airline Centralwings are unnamed.
                              Shame they didn't name their 737-400's They could hire me to name all of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X