X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as the name of the airline goes, names all its 737's after Spices :-

VT-SPC - "Turmeric"
    VT-SPD - "Chilli"
    VT-SPE - ???? hasnt been named (strangely/surprisingly)
    VT-SPF - "Coriander"
    VT-SPG - "Cinnamon"
    VT-SPH - "Saffron"
    VT-SPI - "Tamerind" (went to Transvania as PH-HZR re-leased by SpiceJet and now registered as VT-SPV)
    VT-SPJ - "Mint"
    VT-SPK - "Fennel"
    VT-SPL - "Cardamom"
    VT-SPM - "Pepper"
    VT-SPN is a BELL 407 Helicopter registered in the name of SPAN AIR PVT. LTD
    VT-SPO - "Dill"
    VT-SPP - not delivered yet
    VT-SPQ - "Basil"
    VT-SPR - "Thyme"
    VT-SPS - "Mustard"
    VT-SPT - "Clove" (737-900ER)
    VT-SPU - "Anise" (737-900ER)
    VT-SPV - "Tamerind" also/ex VT-SPI

Comment

Ahhh KLM.... My fav. European airline

Originally posted by ASpilot2be
      Continental has a 777 named Gordon Bethune
      Continental 777 *N77014* Peter Max* I know its a special livery, but that should count.
      Originally posted by JordanD
      I'm kind of curious now too, does KLM name all of their planes, or just the widebodies? Are only the 747's named after cities and the MD-11's named after people?

Boeing 744's (Cities)
      http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/KLM-active-b747.htm

Following regs are KLM Asian aircrafts.

PH-BFC - City of Calgary
      PH-BFD - City of Dubai
      PH-BFF - City of Freetown
      PH-BFH - City of Hong Kong
      PH-BFM - City of Mexico City
      PH-BFP - City of Paramaribo

KLM 777's (Mixed names+cities+places etc)

For other KLM aircrafts - please visit link - http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/KLM.htm
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
        Its the airline's call. Some airlines, like Jetblue, name all their aircraft. Others, like Southwest, name some. Others, like Continental, don't name any.
        And some don't anymore

Air France
        used to name most of its aircrafts
        - prewar II fleet members were named upon cities served
        - from 1946 until the last 707 delivered in 69
        1/first 12 DC.4s were named Ciel de (Sky of) + a regional area of France, the New York route was opened by "Ciel de Picardie" on June21/22 1946
        2/the Starliners L1649A were named upon explorers, "Jacques Cartier"
        3/the Caravelles = regions of France "Artois", "Bretagne", etc
        4/the passenger 707s were named upon famous castles "Chäteau de Chambord", "Château de Versailles", "Château de Josselin", just to name 3
        and then nothing, nothing at all until the initial 320s in 1988 !
        The 320s involved were named upon European capitals and major cities

Air Afrique
        Interesting enough
        Named its front-line fleet members, starting with the DC.8s and Caravelles
        by using the capital cities of country members determined by the final letter of the rego, so some remained unpersonalized, list below
        TU-TCA, Abidjan, DC.8-53
        TU-TCB, Brazzaville, also a DC.8-53
        TU-TCC, Cotonou, the DC.8F54
        TU-TCD, Dakar, a DC.8-33
        TU-TCF, Fort-Lamy, DC.8-63CF, later renamed N'Djamena
        TU-TCH, a F54, no name
        TU-TCO, Ouagadougou, a Caravelle 11R
        TU-TCP, a DC.8-53, no name
        TU-TCY, Yaoundé, the other Caravelle 11R, delivered new.
        TU-TAL, Libreville, first Big Ten
        TU-TAM, Big Ten # 2, no name
        TU-TAN, Niamey, final Ten
        then the system went really awry as each member country demanded to have an aircraft flying the name of the capital !!! So far, only 3 aircrafts finally came up with a name
        TU-TAO, Lomé, the 747-200F
        TU-TAP, Nouakchott, the first Bus
        TU-TAT, Bangui, Bus # 3

Cameroon Airlines
        used to let country's chief rivers flying to its rescue to name some ...
        707-3H7C, TJ-CAA, La Sanaga
        747-2H7B, TJ-CAB, Mont Cameroun, the exception, but fully justified, it's this 12,000ft + hawaiian alike looking dormant volcano located next to Douala !
        767-300, TJ-CAC, Le Dja
        737-2H7, TJ-CBA, La Bénoué
        etc

while some others, never did, coming to mind as club members

UTA & forbears UAT and TAI

list goes on
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

BIH Airlines ATR's are named after cities, one Sarajevo the capital of Bosnia and another Mostar.
          BH Airlines A319

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
            Shame they didn't name their 737-400's They could hire me to name all of them.

Well, Air Canada had the Glimi Glider, although it wasn't an official name.

CO had the Peter Max 772.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Lufthansa names its aircraft after German cities and states, but no names of famous composers, statesmen, inventors or painters (except one 340-300 is named "Gander / Halifax").
              Condor never used to name their aircraft (even both 747-200 only inofficial called "Fritz" & "Max").

get FRA spotting informations here:
              www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

I am surprised no one have mentioned SAS yet. All their aircraft have a Nordic/Scandinavian first name and Viking as their surname.
                Best regards

Peter Lund

Comment

Aloha(AQ) honors Polynesian Navagators and Hawaiian Royalty with their aircraft names. The Exception to the rule is Koholalele, aircraft 748.

BOEING 737-700s:
                  KUAPAKA'A – Aircraft 738
                  Son of the chief Paka'a and advisor of Keawenui, Kuapaka'a was well known for his sailing and fishing skills. It was said that he had the ability to call upon the winds with the magical wind gourd of La'amaomao so that he could sail swiftly.

MO'IKEHA – Aircraft 739
                  Mo'ikeha was a famous navigator who traveled by canoe many times between the Hawaiian Islands and Tahiti. His wife Lu'ukia is responsible for originating the lashing that Mo'ikeha incorporated into his canoes, which can still be found on canoes today. His son Kila was also a famed navigator.

KAMOHOALI'I – Aircraft 740
                  Kamohoali'i is named after the brother of Pele, the Hawaiian volcano goddess. According to legend, he took the form of a shark to lead Pele and the rest of the family to Hawaii.

'OLOPANA – Aircraft 741
                  'Olopana was an historic Hawaiian navigator and the brother of another famous navigator, Mo'ikeha, who traveled between the Hawaiian Islands and Tahiti.

HAWAI'ILOA – Aircraft 742
                  Hawai'iloa is named after a legendary Polynesian navigator believed by some to have been the first to discover Hawaii.

KAHA'I – Aircraft 746
                  Kaha'i was a royal voyager who made a trip to 'Upolu in Samoa. He returned to Hawaii and landed at Hakip'u with the first breadfruit. He also sailed to the homeland in Kahiki (Tahiti) to locate his aging father, Hema.

KOHOLALELE – Aircraft 748 "The Wyland Plane"
                  The name Koholālele (literally “flying or leaping whale”) honors the humpback whale, an ancient visitor to Hawaii, considered by Hawaiians to be a kupuna, or elder, in its own right. Koholālele also is a place name for an area along the Hāmākua Coast of the Big Island and the name of a wind that “leaps over the land” like a flying whale. This plane was hand-painted by the artist Wyland on May 7 and 8, 2007.

'AUKELE – Aircraft 751
                  'Aukele is the Hawaiian name for Aldebaran, a bright red star in the eye of the Taurus. 'Aukele was an ancient hero who made a perilous journey to the underworld to find the “water of life.” He also traveled to the sun, moon and stars and became a mythical hero, revered by all navigators.

BOEING 737-800:

MAKALI`I - Aircraft PH-HZO
                  Makali`i was a great navigator who sailed with the chief Hawai`iloa to Hawai`i. He settled on Kaua`i and became the ancestor of all common people. His skill at farming was legendary. Makali`i was said to have tied crop foods in a carrying net which he then suspended high up in the sky in case of famine. Makali`i is also the name Hawaiians of old use for the constellation Pleiades.

BOEING 737-200s:

KALELEONALANI – Aircraft 808
                  Queen Emma Kaleleonalani, also known as Queen Emma, was the wife of Alexander Liholiho (Kamehameha IV) and shared the experiences of his reign. She was responsible for the financing and construction of the Queen's Hospital, known today as Queen's Medical Center. In 1860 she was an instrumental figure in allowing the establishment of the first Episcopal Church in Hawaii, St. Andrew's Cathedral. Emma also sponsored the founding of St. Andrew's Priory, a school for girls.

LU`UKIA – Aircraft 810
                  Lu`ukia traveled with her navigator husband Mo`ikeha and his brother on a voyage to Tahiti. When the brothers began to compete for her, she wrapped her legs with sennit. She told them that the one who figured out the intricate lashing first would be her husband. Mo`ikeha finally came upon the solution and was so intrigued by the lashing that he later used it to make canoes. Canoe men still use this technique and call it Pa`u-o-Lu`ukia, Lu`ukia's lashing.

KING DAVID KALAKAUA – Aircraft 816 (Cargo)
                  Kalakaua became king on February 13, 1874, and began the colorful reign that characterized him as the "Merrie Monarch." He was the first Hawaiian sovereign to visit the United States. His trip to Washington was undertaken to rally support for the long-delayed Reciprocity Treaty sought by the kingdom. A scholar, poet and musician, he promoted the spirit and culture of Hawaii at home and abroad. Following his 1881 trip around the world to visit fellow heads of state, he commissioned construction of Iolani Palace in Honolulu.

KALANIKUPULE – Aircraft 817 (Cargo)
                  Kalanikupule, the son of Maui's ruling chief Kahekili, ruled the island of Oahu in 1795. He is significant in Hawaiian history because he fought a great battle at the summit of Nuuanu Pali to defend Oahu against Kamehameha I. Kalanikupule's death in the Battle of Nuuanu led to Kamehameha's conquest and reign over all the islands.

LIHOLIHO – Aircraft 823 (Funbird)
                  Liholiho was the son of Kamehameha I, the great ruler and unifier of the Hawaiian Islands. Following his father's death, Liholiho overthrew many ancient taboos. During his reign, the island economy flourished due to sandalwood trading and whaling.

KALANI`OPU`U – Aircraft 824
                  Kalani`opu`u ruled over the Island of Hawaii and the Hana district of Maui during the mid-1700s. He played a part in the incident at Kealakekua Bay in 1779 that led to the death of Captain Cook. When he died, Kalani`opu'u's powerful son was to have succeeded him as king. However, a highly ambitious nephew outmaneuvered the son to the throne. That nephew was Kamehameha I.

KAKUHIHEWA – Aircraft 826 (Cargo)
                  Oahu's most famous chief, Kakuhihewa is poetically called O'ahu a Kakuhihewa. He instilled in his subjects an appreciation for Oahu's arts and culture and preserved many of the beloved crafts of his island.

HOAPILI – Aircraft 828
                  Born the son of a royal twin, Hoapili was the close companion of Kamehameha I. In 1819, he assisted with the overthrow of the native religion and supported the work of the American missionaries. As Governor of Maui, Molokai and Lanai from 1836 to 1840, he made education for children compulsory. Hoapili was instrumental in persuading his daughter Liliha, then Governor of Oahu, to resume her loyalty to Kamehameha III, thus averting a potential battle between the two.

PAI'EA – Aircraft 834 (Cargo)
                  Also known as Kamehameha the Great, Kamehameha Pai'ea was Hawaii's most famous monarch. A powerful ruler and warrior, he unified all the main islands under one rule. The reign of Kamehameha was marked by peaceful expansion and prosperous trade with foreigners. In 1816 Kamehameha defended the islands against the incursion of Russian forces. He was succeeded as ruler by his two sons and two grandsons. After the Kamehameha family died out, the kings of Hawaii were elected by the people.

MATAIO KEKUANAOA – Aircraft 835
                  Mataio Kekuanaoa was the punahele, or intimate companion, of Kamehameha II. In 1827, he married Kinau, daughter of Kamehameha I, and later fathered two successive monarchs, Kamehameha IV and Kamehameha V. One of Hawaii's early statesmen, Mataio Kekuanaoa served as Governor of Oahu after Kinau's death in 1839. Later, he served as a member of the House of Nobles, Privy Council and as President of the Board of Education. In 1866, Mark Twain praised Mataio Kekuanaoa as "a man of noble presence... seemingly natural and fitted to the place as if he had been born to it...."

KAUIKEAOULI – Aircraft 836
                  Kauikeaouli, also known as Kamehameha III, held the throne between 1825 and 1854. His was the longest reign in Hawaiian history. During his rule, The Constitution of 1840 became law, outlining human rights for all residents of the Kingdom. Kauikeaouli instituted major reforms of the taxation system, and reorganized the Executive Branch to include a Minister of Foreign Relations. He also established an independent Judiciary. He is credited with returning the Kingdom to a stable economic base after paying off the national debt, and with setting up the legal basis for land ownership in Hawaii.

KAUMUALI`I – Aircraft 837
                  Kaumuali`i was the last ruling monarch of Kauai and Niihau. By gathering arms and enlisting foreigners in his defense efforts, he resisted Kamehameha I's attempts to conquer Kauai by force. In 1810 Kaumuali'i peacefully ceded his islands to Kamehameha I to avoid bloodshed. He was among the first Hawaiian rulers to become a Christian and was influential in the spread of Christianity. He was the first monarch to learn to read, write and speak the English language extensively.

LOT KAUPA'IWA – Aircraft 840 (Cargo)
                  Prince Lot Kaupa'iwa was the son of Kina'u, daughter of Kamehameha the Great.

KE`OPUOLANI – Aircraft 841
                  Ke`opuolani was a powerful chiefess who later became the sacred wife of Kamehameha I, unifier of the Hawaiian Islands. She was the mother of Kamehameha II and Kamehameha III, who ruled in succession following the death of their father. One of the first Hawaiian converts to Christianity, Ke'opuolani was instrumental in abolishing polygamy among her people.

LA`AMAIKAHIKI – Aircraft 842 (Cargo)
                  La`amaikahiki was a respected navigator and chief from Tahiti. He is credited with bringing the first pahu, or Polynesian drums to the Hawaiian Islands. La`amaikahiki's story has been preserved through ancient chant, an important resource for Hawaiian history and culture.

KEKAULIKE – Aircraft 843
                  Kekaulike was an ancient ruler of Maui who amassed vast lands as a warrior chief. He had several wives including Keku`iapoiwanui. Together they were instrumental in establishing the modern lineage system of Hawaiian monarchy. When Kekaulike died, he decreed that his lands should go to Kamehameha I. This was the start of the Kamehameha dynasty.
                  -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
                  -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

VS also name all their aircraft.

Comment

SouthWest Flagship?

I remeber flying on "Lonestar One" out of MCI a few years ago. I wonder if it's still in service?

Comment

Originally posted by A10Mechanic
                        I remeber flying on "Lonestar One" out of MCI a few years ago. I wonder if it's still in service?
                        Yup, still is, along with all the other WN special schemes. Though with WN retiring a few 737s from time to time, the colors might be switched from the 733 they are currently on to a 73G down the road.

Comment

Polish Airlines Nomenclature

This side up
                          ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
                          Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

I've noticed since the recent repaint on N582NW, "The Bernie Epple" no longer has that designation on the fuselage. Does NW still recognize 5802 as the "Epple", or did the dedication/name officially go when they repainted her?

Comment

NW used to name the 757-200s upon US cities. Personnally, I have memories of "City of Milwaukee".
                              some which also used to name their fleet members
                              Alitalia, Iberia, TAP, list goes on
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
                                And some don't anymore

Air France
                                used to name most of its aircrafts...
                                ....The 320s involved were named upon European capitals and major cities
                                Does all A320 af Air France have the names on the fuselage? I'm not sure, but recently I've seen some of them without names.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                                www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Working...
                                X