X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAL767-400ER
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboy2548m
    Sometimes I'm tempted to do a PA like "Ladies and Getlemen, welcome to Air France flight 8766, service to Huntsville..." just to see if anyone notices.
    99% probably wouldn't notice because they don't pay attention, but that 1% that does indeed notice it and scream something like "Air France? To hell with that, I thought I was flying on an American airline! Let me off this plane right now or I'll sue you!" That's of course a complete dramatization, but the point stands .

Leave a comment:

• flyboy2548m
    replied
    Sometimes I'm tempted to do a PA like "Ladies and Getlemen, welcome to Air France flight 8766, service to Huntsville..." just to see if anyone notices.

Leave a comment:

• Dmmoore
    replied
    We used a similar system.

Normal flight number 071.
    If added 9 and a second digit 0 through 9 depending on the reason for the second fight on the same day.
    A maintenance ferry would be 9271 if the aircraft operating the 071 flight needed to ferry to a maintenance station. (The V.P. had better not see many of these!)

Leave a comment:

• DAL767-400ER
    replied
    Originally posted by pilotgolfer
    Cool, thanks for that.

Another question about the code share part is how do they select which flights to code share on?
    That depends on a multitude of factors, e.g. service to cities that one airline doesn't service, service from cities where one airline has good customer base for whom they want to offer additional travel options, overall passenger flow that has shown demand for specific markets even before the codesharing, and so on.

As for the added latter, it should be noted that airlines handle that differently. Some airlines indeed add a letter when they would have 2 planes with the same flight number in the air, whereas others, like DL for example, usually add 1-2 digits in fron of the actual flight number, say, DL9870 instead of DL70, making use of numbers they are keeping free for equipment subs, moving planes between hubs, charters and test flights.

Leave a comment:

• Bok269
    replied
    Originally posted by pilotgolfer
    Cool, thanks for that.

Another question about the code share part is how do they select which flights to code share on?
    Most of the DL flights I saw at ATL (we flew AA, so me and my dad only ventured as far as concourse A) had a code share with NW.
    For alliance partners, such as DL and NW, a good majority of them are. For others, such as CO and HA, only certain routes (in this case inter-island) are. Some carriers will only sell tickets on other carriers if you fly a leg on their metal. It varies carrier to carrier and partnership to partnership.

Leave a comment:

• pilotgolfer
    replied
    Cool, thanks for that.

Most of the DL flights I saw at ATL (we flew AA, so me and my dad only ventured as far as concourse A) had a code share with NW.

Leave a comment:

• Bok269
    replied
    Codeshares: Essentially, this means that airline A will sell seats on Airline B's flights. They will say that Airline A Flight XXXX (usually the flight numbers are high for the non-operating airline) operated by Airline B. You fly on B metal and check in with B. You can earn miles for Airline A, although the level will vary depending on the airlines involved. Sometimes you will connect between the two airlines. The advantage of this is that it allows you to fly on two airlines with a single ticket.

Alpha-numeric flight numbers: This is done if there is a chance that two flights will be operating with the same flight number at hte same time. For example, COA90 flies ATL-EWR on a 737, and than continues to TLV on a 777. If the ATL leg was delayed and was to arrive after the TLV departure, they could make the TLV flight COA90A

Leave a comment:

• pilotgolfer
    started a topic Couple of questions

Couple of questions

I've had a question in my mind now since my ATL-DFW flight on December 30 and one more just came up so I figure I'll just ask them now.
    First off: code sharing. I saw plenty of DL flights in ATL that had NW code shares on it. How does that work exactly?
    Second: I saw a flight with a letter on the end.
    For example: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FLG612A
    I've also seen that on various flights to/from and within Europe. What exactly is that?
Working...
X