Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBW replacement?

I been thinking about yet another FBW replacement to shave off wieght and
    assembly time. Could it be possible to use sonar in the fuel or hydraulic liquid as replacement of
    FBW?
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Originally posted by Alessandro
    assembly time. Could it be possible to use sonar in the fuel or hydraulic liquid as replacement of
    FBW?
    It may be possible to use the hydraulic system but with the trend to use self contained hydraulic packages would totally eliminate the hydraulic lines. Also the noise generated by hydraulic pumps and control valves complicate the issue. Fuel lines only go from tanks to engines, weight savings from wiring replacement would be limited. The same noise issue is present.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro
      FBW?
      If you are referring to "Fly by Wire" then some aircraft manufacturers are testing fiber optic lines (or "Fly by Light") to replace electrical lines. Advantages include immunity from electromagnetic interference, eliminate electrical shorting, and possible lower weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
        It may be possible to use the hydraulic system but with the trend to use self contained hydraulic packages would totally eliminate the hydraulic lines. Also the noise generated by hydraulic pumps and control valves complicate the issue. Fuel lines only go from tanks to engines, weight savings from wiring replacement would be limited. The same noise issue is present.
        Thanks for your reply, of course itīs hard to beat FBW system.
        I wonder if it could use a sonar for other things as well, like looking for dirt in fuel, measure amount of fuel and other fluids. Also check up if sewagetanks are clogged up?
        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
        X