This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Detectives!

With his work done, Hector Decimal goes back to his special seat and dozes off to sleep. He has a strange dream about a parallel universe where there was an assasination attempt on his life, but he quickly went back to counting sheep in this universe.

The FA says:

The Mathematician has now seen a 100% proof of why 189 isn't a prime number and has left us a note with the directions to a new Google Earth co-ordinate so that we can give you the next piece of inforamtion about this airport.

Instructions:

1. the last coordinate you were asked to find was an aircraft on a runway in Argentina
    2. you will need to move from this aircraft (A) to a new position (B)

Information:

a) The direction and distance from A to B is based on the 11th prime number and the 44th prime number.
    b) The heading from A to B, in degrees, is: the 11th prime.
    c) The distance from A to B, in Nautical Miles, is: the 11th prime multiplied by the 44th prime

As usual, we need to make sure that we are all looking at the same thing so the information about the destination airport will be released when I can confirm we have all arrived at the same place....

What are the Google Earth coordinates of B?

Cheers, Paul

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
      Information:

a) The direction and distance from A to B is based on the 11th prime number and the 44th prime number.
      b) The heading from A to B, in degrees, is: the 11th prime.
      c) The distance from A to B, in Nautical Miles, is: the 11th prime multiplied by the 44th prime

As usual, we need to make sure that we are all looking at the same thing so the information about the destination airport will be released when I can confirm we have all arrived at the same place....

What are the Google Earth coordinates of B?
      The 11th Prime is 31. The 44th Prime is 193. 31x193=5983nm. From the airplane on the runway at the airport in Argentina, and based on a heading of 31° and a distance of 5,983nm, it brings us to Point B of:

52°23'20.16"N
      2°18'47.43"W
      Last edited by Moose135; 2009-11-16, 01:33.
      KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
        The 11th Prime is 31. The 44th Prime is 193. 31x193=5983nm. From the airplane on the runway at the airport in Argentina, and based on a heading of 31° and a distance of 5,983nm, it brings us to Point B of:

52°23'20.16"N
        2°18'47.43"W

The FA says:

We can now confirm that we have all arrived in the same rural field, in England, UK. The Poet will now give you the next piece of information about this airport.

The Poet says:

The Moose is Loose
        in a field of sheep
        This piece of information
        is for you to keep

As you know England
        is in Great Britain
        Contained in an island
        somehow befitting

The land mass is Europe
        to which you have been sent
        And the airport is not
        in that continent

Thanks for verifying position Moose. Unless I've made an error you now have 3 possible continents: Africa, Asia, Oceania/Australasia.

I'm working away from home at the moment with limited web access, but if nothing's moved forwards over the next day or so I'll provide another challenge which, when completed, will take out another continent for you all.

Cheers, Paul

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Challenge 6

You overhear a conversation between The Poet and The Mathematician. They're talking about one of their favourite things; patterns...

My favourte palindrome at the moment is 'I prefer pi', says The Mathematician. Oh yes, says The Poet, palindromes usually make all my senses smile too, and there's nothing like seeing one about something you're interested in to make you laugh.

I've been looking at a few aliterations, says The Poet, especially where they are used in 'tounge-twisters'. Here's one that made me smile: "There's a chip shop in space selling space ship shaped chips"!

They both laugh at what The Mathematician calls "the wisdom of the simple" and they get back to the task of finding some interesting problems for the detectives to solve.

A little while later the FA asks for your attention...

The FA says:

To help you find the destination airport we will release another important piece of information to you but, because we are getting nearer, you will have to work a little bit harder for this information than last time.

As usual...

1. There are no 'trick' questions
          2. Any questions are open to anyone to answer
          3. All questions can be answered with very few words

Important Information:

This challenge is in 10 parts and has:

5 X logic questions
          5 X general knowledge questions

You will be asked to travel around Google Earth after each correct answer.

Instructions:

Keep a note of all Google Earth coordinates
          Keep answers as short and relevant to the problem / solution as possible

We hope you will enjoy the challenge!

Challenge 6: And then there were two!

Information:

On his last expedition to Krakatoa, Hector Decimal lived among two tribes, the SPON and the GILS. As a keen amateur anthropologist, these tribes seemed to be so predictable that Hector used all his social skills to classify them. This is what he found:

SPON males tell the truth
          SPON females lie
          GILS males lie
          GILS females tell the truth

All the logic problems are to do with conversations that Hector heard and made notes of:

The first speaker, A, says “I’m a GILS male”

Is A: male or female? … and which family does (s)he come from?
          Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-18, 23:36.

Comment

The first speaker, A, says “I’m a GILS male”

Is A: male or female? … and which family does (s)he come from?
            A is a female from the SPON family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
              A is a female from the SPON family.
              Hector and The Poet have been given Moose's answer. The Mathematician turns to The Poet; I like this answer.... a lot. Even if it was wrong I would like it!

The Poet replies; I see what you are saying Hector, but is the answer correct? Oh, absolutely correct!, says The Mathematician, and I think you should do the honours of breaking the news...

The Poet says:

It's time to leave those fields of green
              To where, in 1883, there has been
              An eruption so large that an atom bomb
              Would just be a pin-prick upon the SPON

The FA says:

Congratulations on successfully completing 6.1 Moose.

As The Poet has said, all detectives must now move from the last Google Earth location to a new one.

The exact coordinates for the last location were verified by Moose in Challenge 5.

To get to the new location (a) you must travel from there on a heading of 79.53 degrees for 7,289 miles (no need to verify new position...only the final location needs verifying).

Here is the next part of the challenge...

What is the largest 'rock mass' in the world?

(i.e. it is a rock, not a mountain)
              Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-19, 22:18.

Comment

What is the largest 'rock mass' in the world?

(i.e. it is a rock, not a mountain)
                Mount augustus in Australia.
                Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                  Mount augustus in Australia.
                  Hector and The Poet are considering the answer to 6.2...

Hector, I did the last one, it's your turn. OK, says Hector, I guess it's only fair. Fair? says The Poet, c'mon who do you think you're trying to kid?... you're far too wise to get into all that woolly stuff, it's your turn because we share responsibility... 50:50.

Very good Poet, you've nailed the worthiest of reasons, I'll do it.

Thought you might, says The Poet.

The Mathematician says:

10/10
                  Well done

Detective data: from your previous location (a), move 2354.95 Km on a heading of 150.2 degrees to position (b)

The FA says:

Here's part 3 for you...

B, the second person, says: “I’m a SPON female”

What can you say about B?
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-19, 22:46.

Comment

Detective data: from your previous location, move 2354.95 Km on a heading of 15.2 degrees
                    Starting at mount Augustus we end up on the edge of Lasolo Bay roughly 15 km northwest of the Indonesian city of Kota Kendari on the isle of Celebes.

Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post

B, the second person, says: “I’m a SPON female”

What can you say about B?
                    SPON males tell the truth
                    SPON females lie
                    GILS males lie
                    GILS females tell the truth

He ain't a SPON male or GILS female, as they are truthfull. A SPON female lies, so she ain't a SPON female either. That leaves a GILS male. So the second person is a GILS male.

p.s. Is it me or is this thread very slow to load?

Comment

So the second person is a GILS male.
                      The FA says:

Congratulations Peter, you are correct.

We will post up the next part after this post because we need to clarify something.

Important Note To All Detectives:

For clarity, I've included the following numbering system for GE positions. The first position you arrived at after moving from the UK is (a). The next (b), (c) etc. and I've edited the relevant posts to reflect this.

Cheers, Paul

Peter, we have 2 errors I must clear up...

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                      Starting at mount Augustus we end up
                      ... I noticed you went from Mount Augustus rather than the "previous position", which would be (a), so hopefully the numbering convention will make the instructions clearer now.

It's good that you did make this error though... because it highlighted my typo! (typing error)

My apologies, 15.2 degrees should have read 150.2 degrees. I've edited the post so that anyone picking it up from the start will be OK.

It's probably best then, if I clarify where you (and all detectives) should be at this point in the thread:

(a) should be Krakatoa, (b) should be Mount Augustus.

I will assume that this is now OK unless you let me know otherwise.

Cheers, Paul

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                      p.s. Is it me or is this thread very slow to load
                      The whole Forum has seemed slow to me this evening, when I've looked.

Next part of the challenge shortly.
                      Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-19, 23:29.

Comment

• The FA says:

Your new Google Earth location is (c)

To get there, travel 11,744 miles from (b) on a heading of 117.35 degrees

Here's Part 4 of the challenge:

Which European country added a coronet to their flag following the 1936 olympics because they discovered that it was otherwise identical to Haiti's?

Comment

Which European country added a coronet to their flag following the 1936 olympics because they discovered that it was otherwise identical to Haiti's?
                          That's Liechtenstein.

I don't have G-Earth on my work computer so that answer I leave to someone else, for now.

Comment

That's Liechtenstein.
                            The FA says:

Congratulations for successfully completing Part 4 Peter.

Part 5 will follow shortly.

Re: GE... no need to 'answer' these - although I'm thankful you did last time because it helped clear up my typo

The final resting place (for Challenge 6) is what we will be interested in although it will help very much if you all keep a note of coordinate waypoints so that, if there are problems, I can check if I've made any errors or not.

Cheers, Paul

Comment

The FA says:

Before giving you the next part of the challenge, we will give you directions to your next Google Earth waypoint.

Your new Google Earth waypoint is (d)

To get there, travel 7846Km from (c) on a heading of 45.6 degrees

Here is part 5 of the challenge...

C is the third tribe member to talk and makes the following statement: “I am not a SPON male”

Which tribe does C come from?

Is s(he) male or female?

Comment

C is the third tribe member to talk and makes the following statement: “I am not a SPON male”

Which tribe does C come from?

Is s(he) male or female?
                                C is a GILS female.

Comment

Working...
                                X