Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here, almost anything associated with Washington DC is "foggy bottom" just because the terrain is low and wet.
    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• Now it is operated as an Air Farce site but the original jurisdiction of them "foggy bottom swamp rats", were under the Department of The Navy.

Comment

• This is ringing faint bells !

Pan Am....

Potential hub...

Ex military base....

Am I getting warm ?
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• I'll kick off with a guess of Guam. Pan Am operated a seaplane serice from here in the mid 30's.

Comment

• As the man on the strand sez, close but no cigar. Try again lad.

Comment

• Any chance that "cigar" could be a bit of a clue ?

Comment

• No, the "close but no cigar" is just a common expression over here. Commonly used by the "barkers" at carnivals and seedy side shows.

Close, well that only counts in horse-shoes and hand grenades.

Sooner or later the alarm will go off and rouse you from your slumber?

First aircraft to land here was an S 42 Sikorsky, the current runway is asphalt and is 9844 feet or 3000m.

And though we may think and refer to it in the "singular", it is actually comprised of three.

Comment

• AAAAHHHHH !!!

You said.....Sooner or later the alarm will go off and rouse you from your slumber?
                  WAKE Island Airbase.

Comment

• Oh! Now we will suffer the fate brought on only by ..

Brian thinks .... hot oil or perhaps the "rack".

Inflict away sir!

Oh ... and Wake Island is actually three islands around a lagoon. I spent a brief visit on dear Wake. During a fuel stop, I decided to stretch and take a stroll. With the heat wave shimmering and glimmering my "stroll" was perhaps a bit on the short side. Perhaps even shorter than my "stroll" at Midway. We were restricted to our "uniform of the day" from our point of departure which at that time was full woolen dress blues. A few of us tried to change to cotton whites or short "camo" but for some reason, they were watch us like hawks.

Why? Even the NVA who were "catching rays" on "R&R" were ... "your's is not to question why but to simply do or ... "

Comment

• Located on an island, the nearest large town is in another country. Served by 5 seasonal airlines.

Comment

• Sounds like a fishy place to live.

Comment

• Well I was going to take a stab in the dark, just for the halibut so to speak, but that would not be proper would it?

I have a feeling wifey might know so when she returns "I'll Ask er'"

But "fishy place" could be Japan, Norsk, or even Boston would be deluged with "buyers" from Tokyo for the tuna.

Seems so easy for you but ees very difficull for mee .... so said Senor Wences?

Comment

• Cryptically speaking, "sounds like" is used to describe a word or words that, although they when spoken or read "sound like" the subject in question they actually have nothing to do with the subject.

For instance.... we might be talking about a bicycle.

A clue to bicycle might be "Sounds like two rotations (bi = two, cycle = a rotation) are needed to get around on this ?"

For the airport in question here I'm using a similar type of clue which also relies in part on the language of the country concerned....which in this case is German. The first part of the name sounds fishy, the second part sounds like a place, or the definition of one ?

I mentioned the fact that the nearest large town is in another country. The region serviced by this airport is popularly used by residents of, and visitors to, both countries.

Comment

• Well a stab is better perhaps than none at all. For instance, you mentioned a bicycle. Hmmmmm? and how may that imply of course but in some places in the Irish Sea where only residents are allowed transport via bicycle. Can you imagine sharing a shift with someone like me perhaps, with your trembling hand mere inches from "the button" despiite all of the training and testing to keep my ilk from situationas like this despite ..... this.

Worse, this ill fated humor was one of those that I swore was so bad that I would never inflict it upon another human being despite the uniform, well with some exceptions of course, it should have been banned by one of the Geneva Conventional Codes however most folks don't realize that the US and UK are hardly participants whooda' thought but such is the power of the press and said loud and long enough .... My Dear Ol' Dad which of course has me questioning Dear Old Mum, of course there are those who must have proclaimed the Rosenbergs as a loving couple too?

Comment

• Two runways, one asphalt and one grass.

Back in 2007, if you needed intensive care helicopter transport in this region there is every chance that you would have travelled in D-HAMF !

Comment

Working...
                                X