Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First guess was London Oxfort airport; just to start somewhere......

Comment

• Nope, not Oxford.

The trees clue gives the name of the airfield. If you were to have an accident here the investigating body wouldn't have far to travel !
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Hmmmmmm? Bedford Autodrome

The tree part has me .... er ... stumped?
        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• And Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton hints at a nautical past and I doubt they would train in those little Robinsion's even though the price of fuel has gone up.

But this tree thing has me out on a limb. Easy for you of the UK but a beech from where I'm standing.

Comment

• Thanks to local residents Robinson R22's aren't allowed to fly here. There is a London Transport aviation connection.
            Jenson and Lewis only have to climb a fence to be on this airfield.
            Last edited by brianw999; 2012-05-31, 02:20.

Comment

• Leafing out Fairoaks .... the one in the city remains by the rail station? London Heliport but that makes the rail connection but ..... a tree .... eel grass perhaps on a falling tide?

Here it is late and my lids are failing me ..... soooooo ...

Comment

• Fairoaks it is !!

-"pretty good looking trees" = Fair Oaks !
                -Home of the London Transport Flying Club. ( where I learnt to fly for an incredibly cheap social club subsidised rate of £3 - £5 per hour. One tenth of the going rate at the time !!! )
                -R22's are banned because they are too noisy.
                -The Motorsport HQ is McLaren Grand Prix Racing with their HQ bang next door on the other side of a fence.

Over to you.

Comment

• And in my dreams I could not escape the wintry bliss of snow sports. No matter how hard I tried. This strip is municipal and serves over 46,000 passengers and has just over 4,600 feet of asphalt.

Comment

• By the way that you write this, I'm assuming this is in the USA ?

Comment

• No, this area has a long tradition regarding snow and sport.

Generally, snow sports are in their infancy in the US with returning troops having having come home from from WWII with roots in the 10'th Mountain Division and GI loans suddenly available.

Comment

• A thought occurs !!

'''just over 4,600 feet of asphalt"

Now then, is that just one runway...or two or more added together ?

Comment

• Appears to be just one listed.

The name and location "infer" a prime activity and a specific technique.

Comment

• And who would have thought that a Brit is given credit for one of the most popular competitive forms of this sport and sadly the last place that one could indulge yourself in this natural pleasure (in UK), perhaps the most beautiful, had closed just last year. Lucky for all that, the denizens of the island were such great wanders, dandies and rovers (Rover not being part of the clue ), just watching this keeps me on edge. My guess would have been that the origins were dodging the saber toothed critters as you missed the growth of shrubs and pine or such.

Post did not take last night? The talk of closing the UK area did not happen. NOTE ... this is just a reference to a niche within the sport and not the location.

Comment

• Digging up a Nordic alpine technique that comes in and out of fashion may give part of the answer.

Setting for some vital WWII action that was critical indeed.

Comment

• As in skiing and shooting ?

Comment

Working...
                                X