This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, a few more hints.

The airport is not military, but it has a military side. The military presence started in 1887 when the army put up barracks here. First flight March 26th 1914, and from 1919 aircraft were stationed here. First hangar came in 1920, and in 1922 the field (as it was then) got radio equipment.

In my first post of hints I said that the airport has had four towers, and that three of them are still in place, here is a picture of all three:

Front to back, TWR 1, TWR 2 and in the far distance TWR 4.

TWR 3 is now demolished, to make room for a new jetway in the new terminal that was built in 1994. It looked like this:

In the base of towers 2, 3 and 4 were an ATCC managing an FIR that does not longer exist. The ATCC never got to move to the tower 4 building.

Cheers,
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Comment

• Aaaaahhhhh....gottit I think.

Trondheim Vaernes ?

Viewed from the west the runways/taxiways form a number 4 and it fits all the other criteria. I didn't find the reference to the Swedish aircraft though but I would guess that the pilots were RAF from when the RAF had some time there ?
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Aaaaahhhhh....gottit I think.

Trondheim Vaernes ?

Viewed from the west the runways/taxiways form a number 4 and it fits all the other criteria. I didn't find the reference to the Swedish aircraft though but I would guess that the pilots were RAF from when the RAF had some time there ?
          Værnes ENVA/TRD it most certainly is.

Selection training for prospective RNoAF pilots were performed there, and the Swedish reference is the aircraft used. The Swedish gem is the SAAB Safir (Sapphire), and the Swedish adventure is the SAAB Safari.

As for the RAF - we did offer the field to them after WW II, but they, being the polite British they are, declined graciously. But they filled our squadrons with Spitfires, and later Vampires there.

So, Mr. Whitelegg, the floor is yours.

Cheers,
          Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Comment

• About 1 hour west of a major international airport, it is actually in the east side of this country.

Has a warbird museum on site.

Tomorrows weather is forecast as 27deg C, cloudy sun.

Comment

• It is quite a bit higher than the international airport, is half an hours drive away, it's in the southern tropical hemisphere and tomorrows weather forecast is now today's.

.....and you can take a flight in one of the warbirds as well.

Comment

• Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, in RAF East Kirkby? You can take flights in a Avro Lancaster, and taxi-rides in a Douglas Dakota (mil. version of the venerable DC-3), and according to wunderground.com, it is partly cloudy today.

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Museum is based on a 1940's RAF Lancaster Bomber Airfield. The only place in the UK you can enjoy a taxy ride experience in an RAF Avro Lancaster bomber
                Last edited by ced ampo; 2010-08-10, 09:35. Reason: INFO!

Comment

• Waneka ?

Comment

• CED,

Southern tropics !!!

Paul,
                    Did you mean Wanaka ?

If so.....

Nope.

Close but wrong island.

Comment

• A clue about the country will help...

Comment

• Wanaka is in New Zealand...

...and I said that Paul was close but on the wrong island. Remember that islands are both small.....and BIG.

Comment

• Sydney - Bankstown? (have put a pic on the 'name the aeroplane' thread as well)

Comment

• Getting closer.

Used by Australian and American bombers during WW2 for refuelling.

Comment

• Fiji - Nadi ?

Comment

• is it honiara airport, previously henderson field

Comment

Working...
                                X