Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought to myself, where does he live, what airfields nearby would attract US navy in 1917.....

....Southampton Airport would fit the bill ? Opened in 1910 with the USN arriving in 1917.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Bembridge

Comment

• well done Brian - your turn now

Comment

• Set a world record once for being the busiest airport in the world....yet it is not licenced for night operations !

Comment

• Chicago Midway Airport

Comment

• Chicago Midway ?

No.
              Far too big, operates at night and very, VERY few of the aircraft that operate into Midway could ever land here.

Comment

• Croydon again?
                Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Just a guess, we are talking an airport with water runways, right? Since most planes at Midway don't have floats, they'd sink, and landings at night would be a no-no because there is (or was) no telling how rough the sea is.

I'm not really familiar with flying boat / seaplane bases, so I'll just take a stab in the dark and say former Dinner Key Naval Air Facility near Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                    Croydon again?
                    No.

I'm not THAT easy

Comment

• Originally posted by DAL767-400ER View Post
                      Just a guess, we are talking an airport with water runways, right? Since most planes at Midway don't have floats, they'd sink, and landings at night would be a no-no because there is (or was) no telling how rough the sea is.

I'm not really familiar with flying boat / seaplane bases, so I'll just take a stab in the dark and say former Dinner Key Naval Air Facility near Miami.
                      I like the line of thinking but no, not water runways....although in 2000 it came damn close to being a watery landing area !!

So.....most planes at Midway don't have floats. What else do most aircraft at Midway not have ?

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        I like the line of thinking but no, not water runways....although in 2000 it came damn close to being a watery landing area !!
                        Props. So we are probably looking at an airport that was very busy, but has since been replaced by another airport, or lost it's importance.

During the Berlin airbridge the Berlin region was the busiest air sector in the world. But there where three airports (not couting "soviet" Schonefeld). I can find vague references to floods around Berlin Tempelhof. So is Tempelhof the airport you're looking for?

Comment

• wittman regional airport, oshkosh

Comment

• Not Berlin, not Oshkosh and not replaced by another airport.

It gets busy maybe 4 or 5 times a year and for one weekend each year it gets extraordinarily busy.

Comment

• King Abdulaziz International Airport might be it, as it is the airport of choise for Mecca pilgrims.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                                King Abdulaziz International Airport might be it, as it is the airport of choise for Mecca pilgrims.
                                Again, the right kind of thinking with lots of people converging on one place....but not King Abdulaziz International Airport.

Let's go back over the facts....

Only busy 4 or 5 times a year with one weekend being VERY busy.

No night flying.

Too small for any airliner.

Once set a world record for being the busiest airport ( I'll add here, for one day).

Now for a couple more clues....

It's in Europe.
                                Of the types of aircraft that land here one has it's own specific landing zone set apart from the others.

Comment

Working...
                                X